Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Serial mouse problem

by Alley-Boy / April 21, 2004 6:11 AM PDT

I've recently had a problem with my USB mouse. The cursor was locking, and after some time the same happened with my keyboard. So I decided to take my PC to a technician and he replaced my USB mouse with a serial mouse since the problem seemed to be with the USB ports.

Now my problem with this mouse is that it frequently acts very strangely in that right-click menus open suddenly without me having touched the mouse. Also sometimes the cursor changes its position on the monitor, yet the mouse is not being moved.

Can anyone help me with this problem please? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re:Serial mouse problem
by Mark G / April 21, 2004 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Serial mouse problem

whens the last time you ran an updated virus scan?

Collapse -
Re:Serial mouse problem
by Coryphaeus / April 21, 2004 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Serial mouse problem

Do you have a PS/2 port for the mouse?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Serial mouse problem
by Alley-Boy / April 22, 2004 6:50 AM PDT

I have scanned my PC with no viruses detected.

Yeah I have a USB/PS2 port, but I had to change that mouse since the ports seem to be faulty. The PS2 mouse was not working. Therefore my technician advised me to work with a serial mouse, which I am doing, but with this little problem.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Serial mouse problem
by JMarchi / April 22, 2004 10:21 PM PDT

If both your USB and PS/2 ports don't work then there is something drastically wrong with the system. There is no correlation between USB and PS/2, so if both broke it is not surprising that the Serial mouse doesn't work either.

Are you having any other problems with this system? How old is it, what hardware are we talking about here, is this a REAL old system?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!