Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Serial external modem problem

by phil66 / June 23, 2006 10:23 PM PDT

I need to purchase another Serial external dial-up modem for a new PC with Windows XP Home and Linux operating systems.
My Zoom serial external modem with the latest updates when installing will get a notice from XP that continuing the installating will cause harm to my computer now or later.This modem will stay on my old PC.

I have found a US Robitics serial modem 56k v.92 part # usr5686e that shows to be Windows compatible.

Does any one have knowledge about the Robotics modem is it really compatible and will it eliminate the pop up from Windows about harm to my computer.

Where can I search in Microsoft to find compatible modems? I am unable to find a compatibility chart.

Thanks
Ray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Serial external modem problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Serial external modem problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just curious. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 23, 2006 10:50 PM PDT

Why do you want an extermal modem?

USR makes good products and all modems are supposed to be compatable with today's OSs.

Collapse -
Hi Wayne
by phil66 / June 24, 2006 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Just curious. . .

I have had (3) modems on this computer. The serial external is the fastest of all the three and it also handle Linux Distro's with ease.
No real reason only personnal choice.

Send water Lake Livingston going dry.

Thanks for the reply
Ray

Collapse -
Lie.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2006 11:00 PM PDT

Call it a Hayes model that's in the supplied drivers and it still works. Or if the message is about "XP Certified" consider that getting that message is a money issue. You have to pay Microsoft for the certificate. With low volume products, no one bothers and asks the owners to press the button to install the driver.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob
by phil66 / June 24, 2006 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Lie.

Don't know why I asked Zoom should of realizes you had the answer and were around.

Thanks for the reply
Ray

Collapse -
RE: serial external modem
by bbatchel / June 23, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

Hi Ray

I have not encountered such a message as you mention, regarding damage to the PC on connection of a piece of hardware, especially serially connected hardware and until this is understood, I would be reluctant to try or buy anything else. What is the actual message, and have you searched for this on the web directly?

Have you checked for other modems registered in the drivers list )has the new PC already got an internal modem for example)?

I know that Trust do good modems, whhich seem to work on a range of PCs but it doesn't sound like the problem is with the modem.

Generally, XP should be happy with any serial device, and indeed most common modems should work more or less immediately after plugging them in (the installation disk usually includes add-ons like faxes etc)

Cheers

Andrew

Collapse -
Andrew
by phil66 / June 24, 2006 8:08 AM PDT

Hi
Thanks for the reply
When I originally bought this modem I installed it on a Windows ME system. There was no warning on ME

Purchased a XP computer without a modem and when I started to install I got the message
To summarize the message The install was not review by Microsoft and the fee for such had not been paid. The actual hardware is not being questioned just the installer.
Zoom is one of the company's that refused to all M$ to review there installed and pay a fee.
Thanks
Ray

Collapse -
Is USR5686e Compatible with Windows XP
by cward / June 24, 2006 12:46 AM PDT

Yes, your modem model is compatible with Windows XP.

Check Windows XP to ensure that your system com ports are available in Windows by doing the following:

Right mouse-click the My Computer Icon
Select PROPERTIES, HARDWARE, DEVICE MANAGER.
Double click ports from the list of devices
Communications ports 1 and 2 should be displayed

If not, the port(s) could be disabled in your system bios and not available to Windows. If this is the case you will need to enable the port(s) in the bios.

Windows XP typically displays the "terror warning" if it detects a device that it can't read plug & play bios information from. I seriously doubt that harm will come to your system by installing an external modem. Try doing a manual installation (download the latest drivers from 3COM for your modem). Or, you could manually select a Windows generic driver for the modem (if you don't find that particular model listed by Windows).

Good Luck

Cindy

Collapse -
Hi Cindy
by phil66 / June 24, 2006 8:31 AM PDT

All systems are go only needed a modem that the installer would not give a warning.
The Robotics modem has a picture of the Windows logo next to it. Time will tell if there installer has been reviewed by M$.

Thanks for the reply and good info.
Ray

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!