Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Separators in start menue list disappears:

by standeb / January 31, 2009 8:52 AM PST

Hello Moderators,

This question may sound silly but the problem is beating me up. It seems simple but gees I can't find the solution.

I Run Windows XP SP3. My system information is as follows: -

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME
System Manufacturer ECS
System Model M825VXX
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name HOME\Smarty
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 540.64 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.42 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Today I have noticed that two separator lines in the start menu list which comes up when you click on start are missing e.g., the separator line between the pinned to start menu items and the frequently used items and the separator line between the first four items and Accessories in the All Programs List. Quite apart from that, all other separator lines are in their respective places.

I have googled the problem and have tried everything I thought of but to no avail. Any suggestions to rectify that issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you, moderators and members for you kind consideration.

Standeb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Separators in start menue list disappears:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Separators in start menue list disappears:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try
by windyriver / February 1, 2009 2:37 AM PST

System restore maybe!!

Collapse -
Separators in start menu list disappears
by standeb / February 1, 2009 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Try

Hi Windriver,

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion but nothing happened. I could not go further back than january 19 because that was my last restore point. I only had 3 restore points before trying system restore.

Again thank you for you time and assistance, it is appreciated.

Meanwhile I shall accept any further comments and/or suggestions from the forum.

standeb.

Collapse -
Separators in start menu list disappears:
by standeb / February 1, 2009 10:33 AM PST

Hi guys,

with reference to my thread. I wonder what would be grif's suggestions
would be to the problem at caption. I still haven't found a viable solution.

Thanking you,

standeb.

Collapse -
Just A Thought Or Two...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 2:11 PM PST

1. Have you changed "themes" lately?

2. Tried restarting to Safe Mode, then restart back to "normal" Windows again? Strange things can happen to icons and such when there are too many on the machine. Starting Safe Mode can correct that.

3. Did you change the Start Menu style? RIGHT click on the task bar at the bottom of the screen, choose "Properties", then the Start Menu tab. Once there, try the "Start Menu" option vs the "Classic" version..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Separators in start menue list disappears:
by standeb / February 5, 2009 8:32 AM PST

Hello Grif,

My apologies for not replying earlier. The reason being pressure of work and you have my sincere thanks for your reply thread.

I have changed thems lately. I have also since reaing your thread rechanged tham backward and forward again. Nothing happened.

I also tries your suggestion #2. That has'nt worked either.

I have also tried your suggestion #3. That has'nt worked either.

I am thinking that with respect to suggestion #3, I should work with the classic menu for a while and rechange after about a week. Mweanwhile I would keep trying the other two suggestions. Is that a good idea?

Thanking you for your kind consideration as I look forward to you reply on my last question.

Thank you again.

standeb

Collapse -
At This Point...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 5, 2009 8:49 AM PST

I'm only guessing.. It won't hurt anything to work with the classic menu for a while but if it didn't fix the problem the first time, then I'm not sure anything will change by using it for a week..

I also noticed after RIGHT clicking on the Taskbar, then selecting Properites", then selecting the "Start Menu" tab, there is a "Customize" button. Click on that, then select the "Advanced" tab.. Make sure each of the "Start Menu items" you've selected to show on the start menu are chosen to "Display as link".

The only other suggestion I would try is to try changing the Desktop Web properties like this: RIGHT click on a blank area of the desktop, choose "Properties". When that opens, click on the "Desktop" tab, then select the "Web" tab.. UNCHECK any web items that might be displayed there.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Separators in start menu list disappears
by standeb / February 8, 2009 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: At This Point...

Hello Grif,

Thank you for your suggestions. I did not reply before because I was waiting to see what with time would happen. Nothing did. I guess that I would have to leave things as is since everything else is working except for my "G" drive which failed twice and recovered. Belarc Adviser has noted it as failed. I have a backup of the contents of that drive but I will be changing to a 80GB. That drive was my first drive which was 20GB and I used it as a slave drive after Changing to a 80GB. I am now going to use the 80GB as the slave and a 130 GB as "C" Drive. I guess when that is done that ptrblem will go away.

Meanwhile thanks again for your time and patience.

Best regards

standeb

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!