Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Separating cyber-signals from cyber-noise on the Net

The mainstream electronic media brought Web logging, or blogging, into the full spotlight during the 2004 Democratic Convention. Recently, in discussing the worth of blogs in another forum, I characterized them using the old analogy that 100 monkeys banging at 100 typewriters will eventually type out the complete works of Shakespeare.

My concluding point, in essence, was that each cyber-citizen must tweak their personal blog filters to assure they separate cyber-signals from all the cyber-noise on the Net.

Today, I ran across the below referenced article entitled: ?Sorting through Net noise?. It contended that the Internet is a ?cacophony of messages? that ?has led to a noisy environment, making the medium a less-than-ideal vehicle for meaningful communication.?

About a week ago, I finally came in from out of the cyber-cold, and became a visiting member of your lively Tech Forum e-community. The CVs of the Forum Moderators portray a breadth and depth (Techno-Geek Speak: wide bandwidth & high gain) of experience and talent that is ueber-impressive. The self proclaimed ?hacker? member-contributors are a very deep-ocean global resource, as well. CNET?s Community ?Wrangler,? Lee Koo, has his hands full and does a fine job of handling the reigns on this multi-national, spirited and disparate team composed of ?brumbies? from ?down-under,? ?mustangs? from ?up-under,? and with an occasional random fox chasing English Equine trotting in off the Information Highway.

In a recent Speakeasy ?Thar be a foul wind a blowin? across the fruited plain? posting of mine, I characterized CNET?s Tech Forum as a ?pseudoblog,? because it evolves and grows in real-time, more or less, by Poisson like ?pseudo-random? processes. For any interval of time 0, 1, 2, 3...n query postings may occur, followed by 0, 1, 2, 3...n failed or successful posting problem-solving answers. In my brief window of observation, the successes are swapping the failures.

But this Cyber-Horse Power problem-solving Q & A knowledgebase is being generated in real-time, and has a short half-life. Forum pages are basically FIFO in nature with the associated Q?s & A?s being like the NYSE and NASDAQ stock ticker crawl as they drift to the bottom of the page-heap. Only a follow-on posting comment will resurrect and renew the original posting Query-Entry and put it back to the top of the queue stack.

Yes, I recognize the Tech Forum home page has a Keyword Search feature, but entering ?"my 'puter is broke? yields hundreds, if not thousands, of clickable ?historical? potential solution options to investigate in search of an answer. Decisions, decisions. Do I want to go to ?Swiftee John Kerry? to fix my ?puter or should I ?Reinstall XP SP2? to get the job done?

I recognize that I am largely preaching to the choir here, but in light of the thought provoking Stanford Knowledgebase article I thought I?d throw this out to you all for any thoughts and comments on the subject.

Ref (A) Extract From: ?Sorting through Net noise,? By Stanford Knowledgebase; Special to CNET News.com

?It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Internet has revolutionized the way people communicate with one another. Indeed, the Internet has enabled individuals to broadcast messages to a potentially vast audience at very little cost.

On the flip side, this cacophony of messages has led to a noisy environment, making the medium a less-than-ideal vehicle for meaningful communication.?
http://news.com.com/2030-1069_3-5322768.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Separating cyber-signals from cyber-noise on the Net
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Separating cyber-signals from cyber-noise on the Net
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Separating cyber-signals from cyber-noise on the Net

In reply to: Separating cyber-signals from cyber-noise on the Net

Enjoyed your imput. But when it becomes less than informative or even interesting, I just move on to other things.

Collapse -
Enhanced insight into group interests and tastes

In reply to: Re: Separating cyber-signals from cyber-noise on the Net

Mary Kay?Clicked on your feedback and personal assessment response to my Sunday morning posting. Your input provides me with enhanced insight into the group interests and tastes of others, like you, who have been long-term members of the CNET Forum e-Community.

This new knowledge will serve me in better calibrating the center of interest of the full spectrum of Forum Group regulars. I?ll use this clarified understanding, and apply it to adapting and tailoring future posting content to the broadest denominator of CNET Forum members. Hopefully, my measured tweaking will result in revived overall group attention and comprehension, and work towards assuring that future postings more closely target the prevailing information and interest needs of Forum Community members like yourself.

I read your announcement of the recent medical scare that was visited upon you a few weeks back, but it appears that you are on the mend now. Enjoy your upcoming train excursion to NYC, and enjoy the Yankees vs. Indians baseball game.

Collapse -
Re: Enhanced insight into group interests and tastes

In reply to: Enhanced insight into group interests and tastes

Welcome to Speakeasy, jpoliakon

Your scientific approach to the forum is interesting, but there may times when you will want to relax and post whatever is on your mind without regard to the overall group dynamic. Enjoy your visits to SE.

Sasha

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.