Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

sens.dll infected by patched.g

I updated my NOD32 just few hours ago, and immediately I received a warning stating that my sens.dll file is infected by win32/patched.g virus.

is there any solution to this?

is it advisable to replace my sens.dll file with the file I could get from http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/S/sens.dll/5.1.2600.2180/download.html?

oh and, when I hover my mouse over the file in windows explorer, it doesnt show the details (i.e. file version, description etc).

please help, thank you so much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sens.dll infected by patched.g
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sens.dll infected by patched.g
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would be careful.........

In reply to: sens.dll infected by patched.g

Collapse -
curious

In reply to: I would be careful.........

i posted in the lowyat forum too, but i havent had any replies yet so far.

just curious whether it is advisable to replace the sens.dll file.

Collapse -
Why don't you.......

In reply to: curious

Collapse -
well..

In reply to: Why don't you.......

well.. i tried uploading it, but it showed me "0 bytes size received / Se ha recibido un archivo vacio"

Collapse -
hmmmmm...........

In reply to: well..

Collapse -
Trojan.Win32.Patched.g

In reply to: hmmmmm...........

Name Trojan.Win32.Patched.g
Type Malware

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=Trojan.Win32.Patched.g&threatid=90203

I would suggest:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or alternate download link

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
* - Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* - Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.
* MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

* On the Scanner tab:
* - Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
* - Then click on the Scan button.
* The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
* Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

* -- Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

**If you encounter this message:"c:\program files\malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll Unable to register the dll/ocx: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5" Click on ignore mbamext.dll

What does the scanner find, IF anything?

Collapse -
alternative?

In reply to: Trojan.Win32.Patched.g

I kinda aware that sens.dll is essential to windows. what are the risk imposed if in case I deleted the file through AV or antispyware softwares?

Collapse -
sens.dll description

In reply to: alternative?

Collapse -
More.. sens.dll

In reply to: sens.dll description

"sens.dll is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing System Event Notification Service Library may adversly impact your system."

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/sens.asp

Collapse -
erm..

In reply to: sens.dll description

it says it must not be disabled or whatsoever, so what will happen if the file is missing?
should i just replace the file with the one available from dlldump?

Collapse -
Why don't you try....

In reply to: erm..

a System Restore first to an earlier date ?

Collapse -
err..

In reply to: Why don't you try....

i'm not sure when i got infected, the notification of infection was shown only after i updated my AV.
moreover, my system restore is disabled (it was the technician who disabled it when i got it reformatted last year).

Collapse -
I am NOT sure, IF your file IS indeed infected........

In reply to: err..

and whether or not it is a False Positive from Nod32.......

I saw you posted at Wilder's........ Pls. wait till you get info from them before doing anything.

Collapse -
yeah

In reply to: sens.dll infected by patched.g

yeah i'm not so sure as well if it is really infected.

however, usually some description will appear when i hover my mouse over the file. in my case, other dll files in system32 folder show that, except sens.dll which only shows the size and creation date.

im still waiting for replies in Wilders thou.

Collapse -
creation date...

In reply to: yeah

Was the file created recently? Or is it an "old file" ?

I would wait for a response from the Nod team at Wilder's though ...... ONLY to be sure !

Collapse -
creation date

In reply to: creation date...

The date created and the date modified are same, 1 September 2004, 8:00:00 AM. so i would say this is an old file.

seems to me it has never been modified, so I thought it was NOD faulty.
still waiting for reply in Wilders.

Collapse -
Yep.... OLD file... and has not been changed......

In reply to: creation date

so...... my "guess" is........ it is a False Positive from Nod32.

Collapse -
guess too

In reply to: Yep.... OLD file... and has not been changed......

I guessed the same too, but I just hate the warning window which keeps popping out when I close it. I minimized it although it doesnt look good on my taskbar.

Collapse -
update

In reply to: guess too

hi there,

are sens.dll and Sens.dll the same? mind the caps.
just checking the log of my NOD, it showed me sens.dll, Sens.dll, SENS.DLL, but of the same foler c:/windows/system32/

anyway, to update, i asked NOD to delete the infected file, but when i checked back in system32 folder, the file is there! this time when i hover over the file, it shows me the description, file version etc.

any explanation to this?

Collapse -
What I could find......

In reply to: update

Collapse -
Sens.dll

In reply to: What I could find......

Have your Detector remove the offensive item and the original sens.dll file should reappear. Worked for me in AV, anyway.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.