Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

sending large files

by crj900 / December 7, 2003 4:30 AM PST

Hello what is the most fastest and easiest way that i can send a 750mb file to my friend. I have tried file2u.com and it uploaded fine, but when my friend went to dowload it, it only saved 80mb of the file. He has a T1 connection and I have cable so theres no problem there. Thanks in advance and I need help ASAP!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sending large files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sending large files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:sending large files
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2003 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: sending large files

The joke from the 1980's was this:

Q. How do I move 1 Gigabyte of data overnight?

A. Fedex.

Today you could set up a SECURE FTP server such as you find at http://www.openssh.org which you then publish your file to and then your friend can download it over time. WinSCP for the command line challenged may be nice and your skill at firewalls may be needed if you erected one and now need to poke a hole for PORT 22 in it.

This is the method I use with great success and safety.

Bob

Collapse -
sending big files
by debi_du / July 10, 2005 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:sending large files

Try using (www.yousendit.com) it is free and works very well can send up to 1G at a time.

Collapse -
Re:sending large files
by David Chan / December 7, 2003 6:01 AM PST

If you are only sending it on a one-time basis you can use MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger.

I've used this method to tranfer a 500MB file before.

Collapse -
MSN Messenger is the way to go
by Paul / December 7, 2003 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: Re:sending large files

I have recieved a 3 GB file from a friend through MSN Messenger with no problems at all. I'd just go the MSN route.

Collapse -
Another optons is www.FileShare
by joehawk1 / December 7, 2003 11:45 AM PST

I have found this very easy to use, and not complicated to set up like some FTP's. There is a free version if you are not worried about a password. url http://www.wfshome.com/

Collapse -
Re: sending large files
by Tim Quilliam / November 16, 2004 1:51 PM PST

Hello I have used new software called v-courier,which will send most file types as well as any size file compressed and secured, allowing the reciever to open exactly what you sent.Want to know more check the website out.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 9:00 PM PST

Tim
How did you ever find this thread to respond to it, it's almost a year old. I would imagine that the original poster either found an answer a year ago or forgot that he asked the question by now. I'm not tried to be nasty here but it's hard enough to try to keep up with the current questions without bringing up one that has been dead for a year. Plain

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 17, 2004 4:14 AM PST

LOL

Collapse -
by sholiman / November 18, 2004 3:54 PM PST

Yeah, a year is a bit old ... just in case anyone is reading this, there is another service I've used called YouSendIt at http://s2.yousendit.com/ - you upload the file and the recipient's email and they get a message telling them the file is waiting for them (for up to a week before auto deletion).

Collapse -
you send it
by soi4 / November 18, 2004 7:00 PM PST

hmmmm. seems too good to be true. there must be a catch somewhere.

how do they make any money out of this service if it's free?

Collapse -
by hotprguy / November 18, 2004 7:14 PM PST

I have used QNext. Qnext is also compatible with MSN Messenger, yahoo messenger and AOL IM. You can send IM's to those on your list while you upload and/or download files. Get it at www.qnext.com. Oh, did I mention that it's free?

Collapse -
by GrafixGranny / November 18, 2004 11:38 PM PST

Roddy,

What gave you the impression this was a response to an old post? It sure looked like a new one to me. This is a valid and wide-spread question, one I'm often asked as a Guru in a Senior Citizen computer club. Probably most of us here have only been on the forum for weeks or months, not a year, and haven't take time to dig around in year old answers, which are likely out of date by now.

Patience, My Dear. Life is short, and we should rejoice that people are continuing to be curious and learn. Curiosity and problem solving is a great way to keep Alzheimers at bay, so we are doing the world a service here. Just keep clicking that Next Message button.

Collapse -
by s0dap0p / November 18, 2004 11:41 PM PST

How did you find this thread??
Seems every post is dated 2004.
A.H.

Collapse -
by SpamHater / November 23, 2004 10:35 AM PST

I got a link to this discussion in a CNET e-mail newsletter dated 11/19/2004. I would expect a lot of the recent posts were directed here from the same newletter.

Collapse -
To lela20
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 1, 2007 8:55 PM PDT

Your reply is to a post that is almost 3 years old. I suspect that a solution has been found by now.

In addition, you are advertising a video clips site, so I am deleting your post. Please re-read Forum Policies about advertising in these forums.

Mark

Collapse -
by Taztx / November 20, 2004 1:09 AM PST

What website for v-courier?

Collapse -
I second the motion.
by Zynchnod / November 18, 2004 6:35 PM PST

The Fedex guy has my vote. Reason: If he's on a T1 connection, and you are on a cable connection, and neither of you can figure out how to send a file to one another, then most likely by the time you find a program that will send the file for you (like ftp server, torrent, irc, messenger, whatever...), learn how to use it, and install it, and configure it, and figure what an ip address is or even how to get it, and figure out if your firewall is blocking the port you need in your messenger that you want to use, or if you need to use PASV mode in your ftp server.... or in your client...... Trust the man. Fedex it. Purolate if Canadian. That would be the quickest and easiest method. Grin

Collapse -
by enriquew / November 18, 2004 6:40 PM PST

The most convenient way of sending huge files is the free service YouSendIt www.yousendit.com
You do not need to register, share passwords, nor install any software; just enter your recipient's email address, select the file to send (up to 1 GB), and send it! You can optionally add your email address and a message to the recipient. Multiple recipients are accepted. YouSendIt will email your recipient a link to the file stored on their server, and the file will be deleted after seven days.
It can't be easier, and it's free.
YouSendIt has an enterprise version with additional, payable features.

Collapse -
by neveryonnzz / November 18, 2004 8:19 PM PST

one of the smoothest and fastest programs i use for file transfers of any size is http://www.aim.com.
Both parties install the programs and add each other to their lists. Open a message box and select the icon for photos, and a Direct Connect box will be displayed. Once a direct connection has been established, simply drag the file icon into the typing window and press send.

My prefered option is use of my yahoo space, which costs me 9.95 a month for 2000Mb of space and supports both ftp by setting up an email for the desired user or can be deep linked to a simple web page created with the builtin PageBuilder program by typing in the file name on a new page and then linking it to the file by selectng the text and clicking link, choosing my file and clicking OK then saving the page ... just send them the page and the link will begin the download

as for an ftp client, i suggest total commander http://www.ghisler.com

again my first choice would be to attempt AIM

Collapse -
by kjeldc / November 18, 2004 8:55 PM PST
Collapse -
by rdinning / November 18, 2004 9:21 PM PST

I have a splitter program called GSplit 1.8 that will break a file into manageable chunks for email. It will also make the first chunk an exe so that when all the pieces have been received and stored in a single directory you just execute the first piece and it recreates the original file.

Collapse -
by stevengmarsden / November 18, 2004 9:29 PM PST

hi,
i work in a design office and files sizes are often quite huge. some are as big as two or three gig, what i do is use a program called chop, this program chops up the file into sizes that you define i.e. 100 meg and sends them one at a time untill all the files have been sent, at the other end the files are recombined to its original form. the program must be on the recipients pc in order for this to happen. i hope this is of some use. kind regards steve

Collapse -
by Themisive / November 18, 2004 10:31 PM PST

Hi crj900

If I've got a file that large to send, there are two ways of doing it, and I've used both. One is to compress the files using WinZip or a similar data file compression utility, the other is to convert it to a pdf format, both systems utilise data compression so it wouldn't be impossible to expect a compressed file of between a quarter and a third of the original!

The other ways that have been suggested are good, but not always available - especially if you do not live on the North American Continent.

Another idea that bears consideration is set up a small private web site, and just circulate the URL to the people you want to send material too. Then, if they have DAP - the address is www.speedbit.com - they can run a fast download, even on broadband.

Collapse -
by rimbaud / November 18, 2004 11:14 PM PST

That's what I do... I post the file on a page of my website...

Collapse -
by sunsound / November 24, 2004 1:26 PM PST

all of these posts are Very Helpful...except your's, themisive. DAP and www.speedbit.com are totally SPYWARE.

Collapse -
by rupendra_dhillon / November 18, 2004 11:01 PM PST

you can split the file into smaller/managable sized files using a splitting utility... WinRAR would do.

The only downside of this technique is that it will take a lot of e-mailing...

Another way which I have not tried myself but will suggest (coz it would be good if it works out) is that you can try to send the file using MSN Messenger. I have heard that it allows streaming of very vey large files...

Best of luck

Dhillon

Collapse -
by Roach / November 18, 2004 11:11 PM PST

I have used e-mail for these types of situations before. Google mail lets you store a gig or mmore in your account. You cannot actually send the file, its too big. So create an account and just save it as a draft attachment. then send your friend the e-mail address and password, they can then access the account and download the file. I do not know how fast this is, a different e-mail provider may be faster. I have used this succesfully with my UMASSD.edu account. Good Luck.

Collapse -
by gtnshape / November 18, 2004 11:19 PM PST

you could setup FTP and not have to deal with any online servers, and it eliminates the middle man. Altough cables upload speeds are not all that good, its free and you wont have to rely on anyone to transfer it for you.

or you could burn a disk and send it to your friend in a disk mailer.

Collapse -
Use an IM client
by LANjackal-187805230538892 / November 19, 2004 6:08 AM PST

Usually I just send the file via AIM or Windows Messenger.

Collapse -
Use a file splitter
by trvlr2348 / November 19, 2004 7:00 AM PST

I have used file splitter deluxe for years just for this type of purpose, its fast and anyone can rejoin the files even if they dont have the softwaer. I paid $13 for it at the time (several years ago) but it has been something I don't want to do without.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.