Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

''send page'' as e-mail not working

by ChazzMatt / December 15, 2005 9:25 PM PST

About a month ago, the IE feature ''send page'' as an e-mail stopped working. Over the years I've used that feature DAILY to send articles to friends with my notes. I do NOT want to send the page as an ''attachment'' or send only a URL. I want to send the entire page as an e-mail as I've always done for years now. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to.

But, starting about a month ago, suddenly Outlook will only let me send as an attachment and even Outlook Express will only let me send as a URL. (I tried using IE just to see if it would work.) On my company computer this feature still works fine, but on my home computer it's suddenly invalid.

The error message I get is "the current document can not be sent as mail. Would you like to send a short cut instead? (Outlook Express) or sometimes in Outlook the e-mail message opens up as empty but the page is already made into an attachment. I do not want this! I want the page INSIDE the e-mail message as it always has been.

I use Windows XP Pro, IE 6, Outlook 2003, and OE 6, using a computer I built myself almost a year ago. SOMETHING has changed. I had downloaded the usual Windows and Office patches and updates around that time, so I suspect something Microsoft slipped in my computer has now broken that IE feature. I did a system restore back to the earliest date I could but to no avail.

Anyone else encounter this or have any ideas? I'm fairly knowledgeable about computers and software -- I build my own computers and have done so for friends too. But, this one stumps me. I saw one reference to someone else having this problem in the news groups, but the suggestion was to try disabling firewall and anti-virus. I did that temporarily, but problem still persisted. I do think it has something to do with a mis-guided security update or patch.

I am willing to edit the registry if I have to and I love that feature so much I'm thinking about reformatting my hard drive if I have to and starting over.

And plese, no Linux or Mac remarks. Only Firefox remarks if Firefox has a feature that actually sends the page inside message and not just a URL or attachment, OK? I want helpful suggestions, this is not an excuse to say why I shouldn't be using Microsoft products. Believe me, I bash Microsoft with the best of them -- but I just want this feature to work again. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ''send page'' as e-mail not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ''send page'' as e-mail not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
typo
by ChazzMatt / December 15, 2005 9:26 PM PST

"I tried using OE to see if it would work" -- somehow I typed IE in that sentence. You know what I mean.

Collapse -
You could try
by PudgyOne / December 15, 2005 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: typo

You could try going to the

control panel

add/remove programs

Click on Miscrsoft Internet Explorer

It will ask you to remove or repair, choose repair.

After you repaired Internet Explorer, you'll need to get your Windows Updates.

Or

you can right click on the page you want to send

click copy and paste the whole page to an email.

or

If you use Mozilla Firefox it has an extention to do thid(I do not like it)

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=886&application=firefox

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
repair IE? Not anymore
by ChazzMatt / December 18, 2005 1:32 PM PST
In reply to: You could try

> You could try going to the
> control panel
> add/remove programs
> Click on Miscrsoft Internet Explorer
> It will ask you to remove or repair, choose repair.
> After you repaired Internet Explorer,
> you'll need to get your Windows Updates.

Uhmmm.... you must be thinking of older versions of Windows where IE was a separate add-on. In Winodws xP IE is so well integrated into the OS that it's not even listed in the Add/Remove Programs list. It IS listed in the Add/Remove Windows components list (along iwth that annoying MSN Messanger, Outlook Express, Networking Services, etc. You can only check a box to add or remove IE from that list. There is no ''repair'' option.

In older versions of IE, like IE5, I think that may have shown up as a separate program that you could add, remove or repair.

> Or
> you can right click on the page you want to send
> click copy and paste the whole page to an email.
>

That is exactly what i had been doing for the past month. Very annoying, when before all I had to do was click ''send page''.

I solved the problem on Saturday by reinstalling Windows XP as an ''upgrade'' -- even though it's the exact same version I'm using. Reinstalling Windows wiped out whatever pesky update broke that feature. Since that verson of Windows XP I have does have SP2 it's not VERY old, but I do have about a year's worth of updates to download and re-install again. I'll be very careful this time. I'll install each one by one and make sure that feature still works after each one. I had also downloaded Office service packs too around this time, so maybe those were the culprit. I don't knnow, just glad it's all working fine now.

Collapse -
same problem
by jammergram / December 15, 2005 11:22 PM PST

Except in yahoo mail ,every time i try to send a message it keeps coming up as an attachment right away and then i cant send it because it wont go , i had been using firefox browser with coppernet internet, then i switched to aol and no matter which internet server i use it still does it in my yahoo mail, recently i downloaded outlook express to go with reunion.com and i think that was when the problems started, when i emailed yahoo mail about it they told me the same thing as what they told you. please let me know what you do to straighten this out as i would like to use my email too .(im using windows 2000. i dont get any error messages with mine. im thinking aol mail did it to when i tried to use it to send something

Collapse -
problem solved
by ChazzMatt / December 18, 2005 1:33 PM PST

I solved the problem on Saturday by reinstalling Windows XP as an "upgrade" -- even though it's the exact same version I'm using. Reinstalling Windows over itself wiped out whatever pesky update broke that feature.

Since that verson of Windows XP I have does have SP2 it's not VERY old, but I do have about a year's worth of updates to download and re-install again. I'll be very careful this time. I'll install each one by one and make sure that feature still works after each one. I had also downloaded Office service packs too around this time, so maybe those were the culprit. I don't knnow, just glad it's all working fine now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?