Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Send a Receive Error (Outlook 2003)

by Nautica922 / April 11, 2005 6:48 AM PDT

Task imap.aol.com - Sending reported error ( 0x800ccc78) Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The Server responded 556 client authentication required. Use ESMTP EHLO AND AUTH.

No idea why this comes up when I try to send E-mail. It worked fine for 9 moths then I get this message. I did not change anything at all. I?m trying to have Microsoft help me but does anyone know why I get this.

Now I can receive E-mail just fine but can?t send it. And I know the E-mail address that im sending to is correct b/c ive tried 12 different ones that I know work so.. ANY IDEAS?
If you want the pic of the error message let me know. ill E-mail it to yah.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Send a Receive Error (Outlook 2003)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Send a Receive Error (Outlook 2003)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contact aol customer support.
by Kees Bakker / April 11, 2005 7:18 AM PDT

They will guide you through your settings to see what's wrong.

Kees

Collapse -
Nope
by Nautica922 / April 11, 2005 8:13 AM PDT

They said it Microsofts problem. Like I said im tryin to get it worked out with them but they dont seem to be responding back. Just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem.

Thanks 4 tryin tho.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I don't think Microsoft will offer the solution here.
by Kees Bakker / April 11, 2005 5:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope
Collapse -
Why
by Nautica922 / April 12, 2005 11:09 AM PDT

And why would that be? I have another computer in the house that Outlook works just fine on so??

Collapse -
They will say it isn't their error ...
by Kees Bakker / April 12, 2005 5:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Why

because it runs on your other machine. And right they are.

The general advices are:
- check your settings; compare with the other machine
- make a new account with the correct settings, if you can't find the error in the current settings
- check for spyware and viruses; deactivate firewall
- run the Office Removal Wizard to remove Outlook and all it settings and start anew
- reinstall Windows and start anew

The last solution should definitely help. All other are a WAG.

Good luck,

Kees

Collapse -
A comment about firewall deactivation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2005 10:15 PM PDT

In some testing I found that Zonealarm has no true disable. It kept working even when it was "disabled." I had to uninstall ZA to kill it off.

Bob

Collapse -
Nope
by Nautica922 / April 13, 2005 1:06 PM PDT

I started fresh. Wiped the whole HD and started new. Still I get this message.

NO CLUE ANYMORE!!

Collapse -
Sorry to read this.
by Kees Bakker / April 13, 2005 5:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope

But if - after a fresh reload of Windows XP and aol software - you still get a message like

Task imap.aol.com - Sending reported error ( 0x800ccc78) Unable to send the message. Please verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The Server responded 556 client authentication required. Use ESMTP EHLO AND AUTH.

and if it used to work in the past, then I think that either it's a wrong setting or some other software you installed besides XP (and possibly aol) interfering, or a problem with aol.

Keep searching!

Kees

Collapse -
Same error hear, any fix
by vconfused / September 29, 2005 10:31 PM PDT

Was working here for a while as well, now all of a sudden getting the same error Win XP Pro SP2, Outlook 2003. Any known fixes out there?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.