Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Senators to push for $100 gas rebate checks

by Josh K / April 27, 2006 2:58 AM PDT

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Every American taxpayer would get a $100 rebate check to offset the pain of higher pump prices for gasoline, under an amendment Senate Republicans hope to bring to a vote Thursday.

However, the GOP energy package may face tough sledding because it also includes a controversial proposal to open part of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska to oil exploration, which most Democrats and some moderate Republicans oppose.

Democrats are also expected to offer their own competing proposal, as members of both parties jockey for political position on the gas price issue.

To me, it sounds gimmicky and isn't a real solution. Temporarily reducing gas taxes would help more. It would also ensure that the people actually buying the gas benefit the most. These checks would go to people who don't even have cars. I suppose it can be argued to make sense in the ''fuel prices affect everyone'' sense, but it doesn't sound like a great idea to me.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Senators to push for $100 gas rebate checks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Senators to push for $100 gas rebate checks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Agree Josh,
by Mac McMullen / April 27, 2006 3:51 AM PDT

That $100 is two fill ups on my pick-up, and four for the car. Meaningless on it's face. Shows the regard they have for our intelligence as individuals.

Those idiots in Wash DC "ALL" need to be voted out of office. Let's get some thinking people up there, who will work on something aside from voting booth eye candy. Most of those now in Wash DC have been properly trained into campaigning in front of the camera's in Sessions and Hearings, and have become habitual experts at Pork.

The "rebate" checks (pocket change) New Mexico sent out late 2005 were determined by the IRS, in March 2006, to be "income" and to be reported on the tax return for 2005. Many had already filed taxes by that time. Most, if like me, couldn't recall the amount of the check. Guess I'll just wait to see IF they expect me to file an amended return. Wink

Collapse -
Maybe one solution is.....
by Josh K / April 27, 2006 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Agree Josh,

....a one-term limit for Congresscritters, with that term being longer than two years for Reps. No re-election to grandstand for.

Where I'm sure we'll disagree is on price regulation for oil. I favor it simply because it impacts everything else in our economy, and the ripple effect from these prices could cause an economic disaster.

Collapse -
Price regulation is a very bad idea
by EdH / April 27, 2006 5:21 AM PDT

I can't believe you could proposae this. You want some real disruption and shortages? It would be a disaster.If anything LESS regulation is needed.

DRILL IN ANWAR and offshore.

Stop screwing around and do it!

Collapse -
Nuclear powered cars?
by Josh K / April 27, 2006 5:43 AM PDT

I sure wouldn't want to get into an accident with one of those suckers.

Doesn't Ford have a truck that runs on corn oil or something?

Collapse -
Not nuclear powered cars..
by EdH / April 27, 2006 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Nuclear powered cars?

Nuclear powered everything else to take pressure off petroleum and make electric energy use more feasible.

Collapse -
Let's face it - more NIMBY
by Diana Forum moderator / April 27, 2006 11:19 AM PDT

It's been about 30 or more years since we've built a refinery or drilled offshore or built a pipeline.

Collapse -
drilled offshore...and now
by JP Bill / April 27, 2006 1:14 PM PDT

China, Spain and Canada drilling for oil off Cuba.

What to do?

Should US start talking to Cuba?

Wanna buy some oil?

Collapse -
We should drill there too.
by EdH / April 28, 2006 1:42 AM PDT

off the Florida coast.

It doesn't bother me that other countries are drilling wherever. The more oil on the market, the lower the price. There's Africa opening up too.

Collapse -
We should drill there too.
by JP Bill / April 28, 2006 1:59 AM PDT

off the Florida coast

Nelson: Block Cuban oil drilling.

Citing fears that Cuba plans to drop oil rigs near the coast of Key West, Florida's Sen. Bill Nelson planned legislation that he says could tie Fidel Castro's hands.

But the legislation may be a tough sell: Florida Republican Sen. Mel Martinez, who has teamed up with Nelson to fend off efforts to open Florida waters to offshore drilling by U.S. oil companies, said Thursday he has ''some concerns'' about Nelson's proposal.

Is the US ready to tell Cuba and China where they can drill for oil?

Collapse -
I guess we'll have to see...
by EdH / April 28, 2006 2:09 AM PDT

that's why we have the various public officials, media, etc.

I personally think we should be drilling there.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) When it's next to our coast - yes
by Diana Forum moderator / April 28, 2006 3:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: When it's next to our coast - yes
by JP Bill / April 28, 2006 4:14 AM PDT

It's also next to their coast. 50 miles from your coast.

I think the distance from Florida to Cuba is approx 95 miles.

So the drilling would be near the middle, closer to Cuba.

Some Americans want to drill next to Florida,

I guess the Cubans have a say if US wants to drill "next" to their coast.

Collapse -
They might have a say ...
by Evie / April 28, 2006 5:45 AM PDT

... let them try to do something about it Devil

Collapse -
Re:let them try to do something about it
by JP Bill / April 28, 2006 10:55 AM PDT

Collapse -
I think that Congresscritters should be serve
by Diana Forum moderator / April 27, 2006 11:11 AM PDT

as many times as they can get elected. They would just can't run in the next term. So they would have to take a term off before running again.

Collapse -
Agree; it's a gimmick
by EdH / April 27, 2006 4:03 AM PDT

What is so hard about reducing the taxes?

In any event they NEED to open Anwar. That is essential. Stop blocking it!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i agrtee its better to reduce the taxes
by Mark5019 / April 27, 2006 4:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just another sign that
by Steven Haninger / April 27, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

election season is coming up and the roosters in all the barnyards will be strutting their stuff. We already know it's just a show. Happy

Collapse -
Better to suspend the Fed. Tax for awhile.
by Rolway / April 27, 2006 5:18 AM PDT

I think the $100 deal would be handled through the RMV Josh, so only car owners would get it. I would rather get the $100 since I do not use much gas in either vehicle. Tank full lasts me 1-2 months. But suspending the Fed. Tax is the way to go if anything. Get rid of the State tax too.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wonder if we would get $100 per car?
by Diana Forum moderator / April 27, 2006 11:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I would think...Sure, As long as its registered.....
by Rolway / April 28, 2006 12:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
The hysteria around this relatively minor price rise...
by EdH / April 27, 2006 8:22 AM PDT

is amazing. People ought to be aware that prices in most other ocuntries, especially in Europe are much much higher. They are getting socked by their governments even more than we are.

Of course I don't think we need to emulate those failed economies. But people need to be aware of market realities. The price will go up in the long run.

Collapse -
The only hysteria here is.....
by Rolway / April 27, 2006 11:14 AM PDT

The Profits these oil & gas companies are making.

Three largest companies report: For First Quarters

Exxon Mobil-------2005 - 7.86 Billion
2006 - 8.92 Billion

Conoco Phillips---2005 - 2.91 Billion
2006 - 3.23 Billion

Chevron-----------2005 - 2.67 Billion
2006 - 3.97 Billion

Sorry could not find a link.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So?
by Evie / April 27, 2006 8:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sigh. Oil company proifits are NOT the problem.
by EdH / April 27, 2006 8:27 PM PDT

That's easy scapegoating and not understanding what is going on.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So what is going on?
by Diana Forum moderator / April 27, 2006 11:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
It's well documented...
by EdH / April 27, 2006 11:45 PM PDT

Massive increases in demand from China and India, jitters over Iran have caused prices to rise on speculation. EPA mandated changes in gasoline forermulation and seasonal changeover to summer blends...all have caused gas prices to rise.

Oil compamny profits are higher because they are selling much more to meet the increased demand. And that demand from China and India and other developing places is only going to increase in the future.

Collapse -
That may be true but
by Diana Forum moderator / April 28, 2006 12:26 AM PDT

I think some may be the merging of oil companies and economies there. They say that some of the money goes to exploration of new sources of oil but a lot goes back to shareholders as dividends.

I'm not saying that any of this is wrong but it seems that they could pass some of the economies back to the consumer.

Collapse -
by EdH / April 28, 2006 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: That may be true but

Should shoe manufaturers do the same? How about meat packers? Why should any company "give back" some of what it is making?

By the way, oil companies are also paying HUGE taxes. Aren't they "giving back" enough?

Collapse -
You may be right
by Diana Forum moderator / April 28, 2006 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Why?

After I posted, I was thinking that reducing gas prices by a couple cents a gallon wouldn't do much.

The ones making the most money are the producers and we need to become the biggest producer and only use it here.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?