Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Sen. Johnson Suffers Possible Stroke

by Mark5019 / December 13, 2006 6:02 AM PST

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota suffered a possible stroke Wednesday and was taken to a hospital, his office said.

If he should be unable to continue to serve, it could halt the scheduled Democratic takeover of the Senate. Democrats won a 51-49 majority in the November election. South Dakota's governor, who would appoint any temporary replacement, is a Republican

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/13/D8M074S81.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sen. Johnson Suffers Possible Stroke
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sen. Johnson Suffers Possible Stroke
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow!
by EdH / December 13, 2006 6:08 AM PST

Only 59 years old!

Collapse -
If he's unable to continue....
by James Denison / December 13, 2006 6:36 AM PST

....watch the Democrats push his wife to be his replacement. That happened
before with someone, but I can't remember who at the moment. Anyone remember?

Collapse -
I rememberit, bbut don't remember who...
by EdH / December 13, 2006 6:45 AM PST

George Wallace maynbe?

But in any event the Republican Governor, Mike Rounds, would undoubtedly appoint a Republican, which shift the balance back to the Republicans. And there's nothing the Democrats can do about it.

Interesting, no?

Collapse -
Jean Carnahan, appointed as Senator for her deceased husband
by James Denison / December 13, 2006 6:54 AM PST

Can you remember? How did we get the Jim Jefford's (I-VT) Senate? Stuck in a 50-50 tie, the Democrat's filibustered the organization of the Senate and were negotiating a power-sharing committee agreement with the Republican's who controlled by virtue of the tie-breaking duties of the Vice President, **** Cheney. The Senate got to the tie because in Missouri the voters elected a dead man and the governor then appointed his wife to fill the term until the next election. No such action was provided in law. Widow Jean Carnahan became a Senator without ever having appeared on a ballot. The incumbent, Sen. John Ashcroft, refused to challenge the election in court or Senate. His grounds would have been that you can't elect a dead man to office or that the Senate, not the governor, is the constitutional judge of an election outcome.

Collapse -
simple
by WOODS-HICK / December 13, 2006 7:09 AM PST

and fits with your democratic conspiracy theories.

democratic operative poisons republican senator in a state with a democratic governor. back to the dems as the the people voted.

Collapse -
ashcroft lost to the dead challenger
by WOODS-HICK / December 13, 2006 7:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Sonny Bono's wife is another one
by James Denison / December 13, 2006 7:06 AM PST

That's right, that's the other one. Now we have "precedent" and I'm betting
if it comes to needing a replacement in office the Democrats will push for
his wife (if he has one) to replace him.

Here's a link about Sonny.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=2312
He was killed at the Heavenly Valley Ski Resort in Lake Tahoe after he collided with a tree. After his death his widow, Mary Bono, was appointed to fill her late husbands Congressional Seat and in November 2002 she was re-elected to serve a third term.

PS- your link doesn't work.

Collapse -
They may push; I doubt they'd get...
by EdH / December 13, 2006 7:22 AM PST

In any event it's a temporary appointment, then there has to be an election.

Collapse -
this senator from south dakota did not leave
by WOODS-HICK / December 13, 2006 9:40 AM PST

In November of 1969,(Republican)Karl Mundt suffered a severe stroke. He remained in office, but the senator?s responsibilities were shouldered by members of his staff.

"On August 16, 1974, two years after leaving the Congress, and almost five years after a stroke, Karl Mundt died.

http://www.departments.dsu.edu/library/archive/adjournment.htm

Collapse -
(NT) How long before someone say's it's Bush's fault?
by C1ay / December 13, 2006 7:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Stroke, heart attack ruled out...
by EdH / December 13, 2006 11:51 AM PST
CNN

A statement issued by Johnson's office said he was suffering from a "possible stroke." But a spokeswoman later said that tests showed Johnson had suffered neither a stroke nor a heart attack, although it was not clear what had happened.

Julianne Fisher, a spokeswoman for Johnson, told CNN he was still undergoing tests and will stay hospitalized overnight, but she would not characterize his condition.
Collapse -
It was a congenital Arteriovenous malformation; good odds
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 14, 2006 10:13 PM PST

for full recovery (about 50%). The Astros broadcaster/manager/broadcaster Larry Dierker had onbe of these about 5-6 years back, and recovered fully:

Senator's illness caused by brain tangle.

>> Envision a snarled ball of red and blue yarn, packed too tightly to pull apart. The bleeding in Sen. Tim Johnson (news, bio, voting record)'s brain resulted from a condition not too different ? where arteries and veins grew so knotted that eventually at least one burst.

It's called an arteriovenous malformation, or AVM. They can occur anywhere, but about 300,000 Americans are believed to have one in the brain or spinal cord ? although only about 12 percent of them, roughly 36,000, will notice symptoms such as headaches or seizures.

The greatest danger from these brain tangles is bleeding. AVMs account for about 2 percent of the nation's hemorrhagic, or bleeding, strokes each year, according to the National Institutes of Health. And the condition claims about 3,000 lives a year. <<

I pray for Senator Johnson and his family, as I do for the Republican Senator from Idaho recently diagnosed with leukemia.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I say again that...
by Edward ODaniel / December 17, 2006 1:13 AM PST

Democrats demonstrate a tremendous ammount of tangled brains.

Johnson demonstrates the rule rather than the exception.

I still hope he recovers.

This is still my opinion and until certain others who express their "opinion" have their posts removed for expressing a personal opinion and who have additionally claimed that "it wasn't a personal attack when commenting on a group" either change that view and quit such postings or quit the double standard, the opinion stands.

Collapse -
The question, Dave...
by J. Vega / December 17, 2006 1:35 AM PST

Dave, with a hemorrhagic stroke, the question is how much brain tissue was killed, and just as important, where that tissue was located.
His having trouble speaking and weakness on his right side would seem to indicate that there was damage to the left side of the brain. How severe and how permanent the damage was will be answered when he recovers from the surgery and is tested. It can take months, or even years, to recover some portion of lost abilities.

Collapse -
It took my husband 2 1/2 years to die.
by Angeline Booher / December 17, 2006 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: The question, Dave...

There were ups and downs, and a few times he was almost back to normal.

But after over a year and a half, a shunt was placed to drain fliud buildup, after which it was mainly downhill.

His was so severe that the force of the "explosion" forced his brain to one side, like happens with head injuries in car wrecks.

I frankly am disturbed by a couple of comments made in this thread because I have a good idea what he and his family are going through. It just doesn't seem the time to make a political football out of it.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?