General discussion

Sen. Clinton Pushes for Voting Holiday

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (news - web sites), a possible White House candidate in 2008, joined 2004 nominee John Kerry (news - web sites) and other Democrats Thursday in urging that Election Day be made a federal holiday to encourage voting.

AP Photo

She also pushed for legislation that would allow all ex-felons to vote.

Standing with Massachusetts Sen. Kerry and other Democrats who had alleged voting irregularities in the 2004 contest, Clinton said, "Once again we had a federal election that demonstrates we have a long way to go."

"I think it's also necessary to make sure our elections meet the highest national standards," said the New York senator.

She and Kerry, both considered contenders for the 2008 nomination, were joined by Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (news, bio, voting record), D-Ohio, and Sen. Barbara Boxer (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., who forced a highly unusual House and Senate debate Jan. 6 on the presidential election results.

Kerry, who lost the national contest by 3.3 million votes nationwide, and 118,000 within Ohio, denied the bill was an attempt to discredit the 2004 results.

"This has nothing to do with me," said Kerry. "It is not partisan, or shouldn't be."

Clinton echoed those comments, though her senatorial re-election committee, Friends of Hillary, is pushing the bill hard.

Visitors to the group's Web site are greeted first with a full-page form asking people to endorse the Count Every Vote Act.

"My Web site has information about everything I work on. This is one of my biggest priorities and obviously I hope that people who share our goal of making sure every vote counts will support us," said Clinton.

In addition to creating a federal holiday for voting, the bill would:

_Require paper receipts for votes.

why should felons vote?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=512&u=/ap/20050217/ap_on_go_co/voting_machines_clinton_1&printer=1

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Sen. Clinton Pushes for Voting Holiday
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sen. Clinton Pushes for Voting Holiday
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
They need the voters!

Note the absence of concentrating on making sure every member of our military gets to vote and is counted!

A paper backup of votes is one thing, but as has been discussed before, a "receipt" to the voter opens up the door to verifiable vote-buying and can only lead to shenanigans.

It is quite sad, when you think about it, that Democrats have sunk to having to court the felon vote!

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
id say something

but you said it bestGrin

- Collapse -
It's perfectly predictable, Evie:

First the dead, now the crooks... Devil

- Collapse -
arent they ona and the same
Grin
- Collapse -
Paper ballots

What I've read so far indicates that this article is misleading in its use of 'receipt'. It sounds more like e-voting machines must produce a paper ballot that the voter can verify. This paper is the official ballot for situations that require a hand recount. This sensibly avoids some opportunities for chicanery with the programing of the voting machines and instill a needed level of confidence.

Dan

- Collapse -
Not the worst idea to come along but

we can't add holidays for everything. I might propose that Labor Day could well be used for this. Although it's required that employers allow voting time for employees, I wonder how many working people don't take full advantage of that opportunity. This might improve the ratio of workers to idlers who make it in to vote. I think it's worth mulling over.Happy

- Collapse -
Felons voting - a wonderful idea!

That would solve the pesky little distraction of Presidential pardons...

dw

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mark Rich ???
- Collapse -
It is a Federal employee and DC holiday, Mark

Since I grew up in DC, I didn't realize for many years that wasn't true nationwide. BTW, most countries either make election day a holiday or hold them on Sunday (or the equivalent in the dominant religion). Maybe that's one reason their turnouts are so much higher than ours?

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Most other countries are not the US
- Collapse -
I don't have a problem with the day off,

but criminals voting? Is she nuts or does she just want some of her old law firm partners to vote?

- Collapse -
not a fed employee day off...

fed employees are permitted to come in a little late or leave a little early depending on their work schedule hours and the polling hours in their precinct.

dw

- Collapse -
plus letting felons vote

says allot they lost that right when convicted of a crime that said they lose that right

- Collapse -
You really think so?

Our turnout would probably be lower if Election day were made a Federal Holiday. A day off!!! Especially if somehow it was changed to a Monday!

With early and absentee voting, along with long polling hours, there is no need for a day off.

Are you sure about it being a Federal Employee holiday now? That's what one of the points of making it a Federal Holiday is, because largely government employees are effected. I would actually prefer not to have it as a Holiday -- takes away from a different paid holiday for most private sector jobs. Can't think of an Election Day where having the day off was needed or wanted, especially if it remains a Tuesday.

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
A couple of points

First, in a process driven industry, a holiday would only mean bonus pay, not a day off for the shift workers. Day workers, mainly management (who don't need the holiday, can take off time needed anyway) and some day only maintenance is the bulk of it. The cost of shutdown/startup is too high to stop, that's why they run 4 (or more) shifts 24/7 .

Now, you want to make it a holiday so people can vote easier. Who will be required to close?

Offices? sure, industries? why not increase the manufacturing costs?

Post office, all delivery services, all retail stores? no gas station attendants or grocrey clerks available, they're all at the poll all day.

Fire, police, rescue, doctors, nurses, aids? Yeah, right.

It's obvious that the only people that a hoiday might make a difference are the nine to fivers, agree or disagree? A hell of a lot of this country doesn't work 9 to 5, or any slight variation there off.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

- Collapse -
It varies by state lawa
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good idea.
- Collapse -
Giving the tax payers the day off to vote. WOW!

except for the felons getting to vote.

Vote or die, did not work.
Scare the elder, did not work.
The Unions already get time off to vote.

now, making it easy for more TAX payers to vote.
That?s funny.
I can't believe the Dems. would go for a holiday like that.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nit pick, not all unions do get off, mine doesn't.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Neither did mine.

CNET Forums

Forum Info