Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Self-Contained MP3 Player

by moranacus / November 1, 2009 4:32 PM PST

Does anyone if they sell a self-contained MP3 Player that has a huge GB hard drive and speakers????
I don't want something that you hook a portable MP3 player or an IPOD to.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Self-Contained MP3 Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Self-Contained MP3 Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
archos
by d_adams / November 3, 2009 2:45 AM PST

Archos makes hard drive music/video players with speakers. I think they're biggest one is 500GBs. Only other hard drive based player I know of, is an iPod Classic, which is 160GBs, but lacks the speaker. Archos operating systems are very unstable, though, and their batteries don't last as long as an iPod battery. Plus, almost all their players are kind of big and clunky; hard to fit in a pocket.

Collapse -
Thanks
by moranacus / November 3, 2009 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: archos

Thanks for the info!!!!
I would like something alittle bigger than that.

Collapse -
sublime2ridiculous
by fihart / November 3, 2009 4:48 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Thanks
by moranacus / November 4, 2009 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: sublime2ridiculous

Thanks for the info but I don't see it on sale anywhere when I did a search

Collapse -
They should've make it a little more like a tank.
by ahtoi / November 4, 2009 4:21 PM PST

but the tread looks ok, hehe.

Collapse -
Well...
by 1shado1 / November 8, 2009 1:32 PM PST

The Tank is just a concept, not made for production.

Collapse -
500GB is the max
by d_adams / November 11, 2009 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I'm pretty sure that's as big as they get right now, because that's the largest a 2.5" drive can be. If you want bigger, then I guess you could buy a netbook and a large (max is 2TB) external hard disk.

Collapse -
Closest I know of...
by make_or_break / November 11, 2009 5:30 AM PST

It doesn't have built-in speakers, however.

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/hdmi-ide-hard-drive-hdd-media-player-all-in-one-media-center/

Bring your own hard drive (unfortunately only up to 500GB, and no Maxtor drives allowed) and your own speakers.

Iomega makes a player device that has 1TB of storage and supports a lot of formats, but it's only a source component that plugs into an existing stereo or a/v setup (no internal amplification or speakers). Samsung has something similar as well.

http://www.allamericandirect.com/iomega-screenplay-pro-1tb-hard-drive-portable-media-player-34151.html

Not aware of an all-in-one tabletop hard drive-based MP3 unit, but it's not to say that there's not one out there...someplace.

Collapse -
Iomega
by moranacus / November 12, 2009 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: Closest I know of...

I wonder how good the Iomega would work if I used my Bose Wave system
for the sound.
If it works the same as it did when I tried using my computer to play mp3's on the Bose the it would be useless (had to crank the volume
way up on the BOSE).

Collapse -
How were you...
by make_or_break / November 12, 2009 2:55 PM PST
In reply to: Iomega

...connecting your computer to the Wave Radio? From the PC speaker output jack on your soundcard or on the back of your computer to an aux-in jack on the Bose? Or does you computer setup have a separate line-out?

Collapse -
Well,
by moranacus / November 13, 2009 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: How were you...

Well, I plugged one end of the cord into the computer's headphone jack and the other in the Bose's Aux In jack.

Collapse -
Just Wondering...
by 1shado1 / November 13, 2009 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: Well,

Did you then turn up the volume on your PC's headphone jack? Maybe it was set too low.

Collapse -
Tried That
by moranacus / November 13, 2009 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: Just Wondering...

I tried that but it didn't help.

Collapse -
Interesting...
by 1shado1 / November 13, 2009 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Tried That

Any idea what the impedance level is on the Bose aux input?

Collapse -
Aux In on a Bose Wave system...
by make_or_break / November 13, 2009 3:02 PM PST
In reply to: Interesting...

...is configured so that it can work an input from a portable MP3 player like an iPod, Walkman or Zune, directly out from the headphone jack on the portable to the 3.5mm stereo miniplug jack on the back of the Wave system (at least according to Bose's website). IN THEORY, connecting from a computer's miniplug headphone jack should be no different than feeding an aux in from the headphone jack output of any portable MP3 player. From their website Bose says their Wave gear is designed for exactly that.

If there's enough signal strength to properly drive a set of headphones from the computer's headphone jack, then there should be enough signal to feed the aux in of the Wave Radio/Music System, unless there's something wrong with the aux in jack. And I assume that the cable being used between the computer and the Wave System is the CORRECT type (3.5mm (1/8") stereo to 3.5mm (1/8") stereo), and not a monophonic one. In principal if those check out fine, then you should have music fed from your computer going to the Bose.

Beyond that, you'd have to take it up with a Bose expert; I'm not a fan of Bose products and their respective sonic performance so I don't have much experience with any of their Wave systems (aside from toying with them at the local Bose stores).

Collapse -
Not Going To Use
by moranacus / November 13, 2009 4:43 PM PST

I'm not going to play mp3's on the Bose from my computer if I have to crank up the volume so high.
I love playing CDs on the Bose Wave System but after all this time if you want to play an MP3 CD you still can't go directly to the sond you want. If you want to play song 75 on the CD you have to push the button 75 times on the remote to get to the song.

Collapse -
Thanks make_or_break
by 1shado1 / November 13, 2009 7:03 PM PST

I figured the input was configured like any other standard aux input, for things such as cd players, tape decks, mp3 players, etc. But I still wonder if the input impedance is the 'standard' 47k ohms, or some other value. But of course Bose always provides a dearth of specifications (to intentionally keep people in the dark).

I understand the OP's frustration when switching between, say, the aux input and the built-in cd player, only to have the music go from soft to loudly blasting due to the mismatch in levels. As inexpensively built and expensively priced as Bose stuff is, you'd think they could have done something to address such an issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?