Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Selective Permissions?

by rubart / October 20, 2011 2:45 AM PDT

I'm okay with Windows 7's asking me for permission to open every program and site.
But there's one online program I use constantly, and I'd like to tell Windows, "Don't ask my permission anymore to open THIS particular program."
Is there a way I can let Windows 7 know that this program is always okay to open--or is it all or nothing with Windows 7's permissions?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

rubart has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Selective Permissions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Selective Permissions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by rubart

Collapse -
Online program?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Selective Permissions?

Do you mean via a browser? If so, which program is this? I'm struggling to picture the situation.

Mark

Collapse -
Not via a browser
by rubart / October 20, 2011 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Online program?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking the time and interest on this. I can see now why it would seem confusing.

Collapse -
Ahh I see
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 8:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Not via a browser
Collapse -
Thanks once again
by rubart / October 20, 2011 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Ahh I see

Hi Mark,

Collapse -
P.S. to Mark
by rubart / October 20, 2011 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks once again

Hi again,

Collapse -
Re: permission
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Online program?

Can you tell more about what Windows asks you (full message please) and when?

With me, Windows never asks me permission to run a program (if that's what you mean with opening a program). And a browser never ask me persmission to open a site (whatever you mean with opening sites, my browser mostly get html-pages and doesn't open sites). They just do without asking. And that's the way it should be, shouldn't it?

From your description it's unclear to me what happens and when it happens.

More questions:
- Is the account you run in an administrative account, a user account or the guest account?
- Is UAC enabled or disabled (I don't see why Mark thinks about UAC, but it might be relevant)?
- Are you sure it's Windows asking and not some third party security program?

Kees

Collapse -
Have you turned off your security warnings Kees?
by rubart / October 21, 2011 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: permission

Hi Kees,

Collapse -
Indeed, I turned off UAC.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 3:50 AM PDT

But that shouldn't give a message when running any program, just when doing things considered dangerous. dangerous. Can you tell more about what you call "standard Windows permission boxes". What's the exact text in these boxes?

Kees

Collapse -
Ohh, maybe I misunderstood.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: permission

I assumed that the OP was taking about the UAC permission dialog that appears when opening some applications, example here;
http://www.micro-isv.asia/img/win7uac.png

If the dialog window the OP sees is different, then I agree we need to see what the full message is.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: UAC
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 4:21 AM PDT

That screenprint is from a setup program. Setup programs are meant to change something in the computer, so that's an appropiate question.

But that's not the day-to-day running of the program once installed. That should be considered harmless.
The only exception I know happens if the program was copied from some unsafe source such as Internet. That's stored in the meta-data of the program, and if you run that, you can get a message indeed. The easy solution for that is to copy it to and from a FAT32-formatted USB-stick. That removes the metadata and you won't get the message again. That's a quite different thing.

Anyway, describing something as 'a standard Windows permission box' doesn't tell much. But it seems the OP generally is happy with what I would describe as a 'very unstandard pop-up' opening "just about anything". Do you get a popup when running Notepad, Word or Firefox? I don't and I think you don't either.

Kees

Collapse -
Hmm, confused now
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: UAC

so I'm going to leave this in case I confuse others.

But I get that dialog whenever I open the following applications, MBAM, CCleaner and SpeedFan. These are not the initial setup processes but the applications themselves. However what I can see is that MBAM and CCleaner both have the potential to make changes, and SpeedFan interrogates the motherboard and perhaps deep inside the OS. I've never bothered to try the right click > Run as Administrator on these.

Sadly can't supply a screen print as that is disabled, (of course), when the screen goes dark and the dialog displays. But it is the same dialog window.

But I do agree, we need to know the full message.

Just a note. The OP explains this is not a browser program. It is a stock market application that I believe connects to the internet to get a continual data feed from the market.

Ahh, just had a thought. Firewall permissions!! An avenue to consider Kees.

Mark

Mark

Collapse -
Mark and Kees:
by rubart / October 21, 2011 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm, confused now

Sorry, didn't know there were varieties of messages (I'm new to Win 7). So I copied down the exact text of the message box:
The box itself is labeled (at the left top corner): User Account Control

Collapse -
P.S. to Mark and Kees
by rubart / October 21, 2011 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Mark and Kees:

It occurs to me that if I could somehow make the publisher "known" to Windows, I wouldn't get this message again. Are you aware of any way I could do that? Such as entering the name in a list of "Make Known" publishers in Windows? Does such an option exist in Win 7

Collapse -
Re: unknown publisher
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 21, 2011 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Mark and Kees:

A google search found me http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/standard-user-account-and-user-account-controls/fbde9586-3244-40be-89bb-666a95fafa25
That linked to http://www.itknowledge24.com/
And that has a download page where you can download the program UAC Trust Shortcut 1.0: "a free software offered by
us. UAC Trust Shortcut 1.0 allows you to disable User Account Control
for a specific application,
by defining a trusted shortcut."

If you look around at those 2 links you'll find a lot of useful information on the subject.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
I'll check it out
by rubart / October 21, 2011 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: unknown publisher

Many thanks, Kees. Boy, you people are really into solving these things!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!