Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Selecting G or N standard

We purchased a new HP Notebook that has a wireless adapter installed:

Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Selecting G or N standard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Selecting G or N standard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
G is easy to live with.

In reply to: Selecting G or N standard

Were you using something else?

Bob

Collapse -
G or N

In reply to: G is easy to live with.

I did have a ethernet network before for two desktops. Now I am setting up with an upgraded desktop (XP Pro, ASUS MB, P4, and 2 gig RAM) along with the new notebook. So this will be a new network setup.

Collapse -
Many wired 100BT end up...

In reply to: G or N

At 100 megabit half duplex. If you are in range to the router you'll get about 1/2 that speed. For internet and gaming, more than enough.

Bob

Collapse -
My two cents. . .

In reply to: G or N

Any of the wireless networks will be faster than your ISP.

Once you enable encryption your speed will be cut roughly in half. Reason being that each packet is sent with the encryption code. Each PC and router has to decrypt the code slowing the connection. Even a wired connection will never reach the stated speed.

I have a full -G network and I'm pleased.

Collapse -
Selecting G or N standard

With the G or N its sort of a toss up. Depending on how you want to use it. If you have a network drive or want to access files on your desktop and others are also using the connection (wired or wireless) you may want the -n. As far as the internet speed it keeps going up so right now your router may be faster than your internet.

Personally I have a g router, but am going to upgrade to a (g or n) but with a 10/100/1000 ethernet (for the desktop, tivo, & network storage drive). With 3 of us using the network drive, etc we need to move up to the 1000 ethernet so that we don't have delays accessing the network drive. (We have music, video's, and some software based on it)

My point is look at what you want to use your network for for potentially for the next 2/3 years. This will work to keep you from having to replace the equipment beofore you need to replace your computer.

Collapse -
Product suggestions?

I think I will go with N technology and am interested in the 10/100/1000 technology for the reasons you mention. I have checked out the Linksys WRT350N product but saw an awful review on CNET.

What will you be using?

Thanks for your input.

Rick Dial

Collapse -
802.11n is not finalized

In reply to: Product suggestions?

Just some comments:

802.11n is not finalized yet, those on the market are either 802.11 pre-n or 802.11n (draft) products.

Since there are other versions of 802.11n draft standard to be issued and will not finalized until 2008, the compatibility and upgrade of these pre-n wireless products will be an issue.

For me, I'm happy with 802.11g products for the time being, the price is reasonable and the performance is pretty good..

picoHat
http://www.home-network-help.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.