Networking & Wireless forum

Selecting a reliable wireless router/modem

by looeytarian / January 23, 2012 5:21 AM PST

I currently have a Belkin3ACB which has been mostly fine for my home laptop. However, I have been gradually teleworking at home and have been noticing that my work computer disconnects far more often. This is despite the fact that I work right next to the router as oppsed to in another room like I do wiht my personal laptop. I suspect the reason is due to using far more bandwidth on my work computer. Is there something to that theory and if so, how do I choose a more reliable router/modem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Selecting a reliable wireless router/modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Selecting a reliable wireless router/modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by bill012 / January 23, 2012 9:43 PM PST

Depends what you mean disconnects. If you get a alert that you have lost network connectivity on your wireless that is a far different problem than if you just get hung for a bit or if your VPN tunnel drops to your work. The first you may be able to fix by doing things like replacing the router the second ones are more than likely a issue outside your house and tough to get someone to fix.

First thing to always try, and since you sit near the router the method I would always use, is to use a ethernet cable to the router. This will show if it is a wireless issue. Next would be to bypass the router and plug directly to the ISP modem,not sure if that is a option since the model router you list seems to not be valid.

You see this question all the time here. Seems there is this problem with just about every router. You can never tell since it is related to which pc nic also.

Pretty standard things to try, patch the firmware on the router and the pc nic. Since it does not happen on your personal pc I would be trying a $10 USB nic card before I replaced the router.

Collapse -
by looeytarian / January 24, 2012 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: disconnet

Yes, I was referring to the the wireless connection. I cannot recall ever losing the VPN tunnel while wired direct. Also, shouldn't have implied that I have no problems with my personal laptop. I think the wireless is going out though it is only about 18 months old, unless my ISP made some changes that may not be compatible with the router?
I think changing routers is called for not only for the connectivity issues but also for enhanced security. The only reason I want to use the wireless with my workcomputer is to avoid continually switching the cable and resetting the modem. I suppose I could get around that by setting up a network router and wiring my work computer direct and routing the wireless tp my personal laptop. That would ease my concerns about securitytoo.
Still, being able to go wireless for my workcomputer would be nice when summer comes around and the weather warms up! Happy

Collapse -
wireless brand
by bill012 / January 24, 2012 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: Disconnect

I guess you could have the wireless part failing it is fairly rare most router failures are power supply and then the I won't do anything failure.

As far as reliability goes I wish I could figure that one out. When you watch these forums you see people complaining about every brand and model on the market. We recently failed a 6 month old cisco commercial AP and of course it was the one 30ft above the floor in a warehouse.

Pretty much you will have better luck staying with the more well know brands. Not sure I would be trusting the wireless router I saw for $9.99 at the dollar store.

Collapse -
The old cordless phone issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 2:44 AM PST

We loved to demo WiFi interference with some old cordless phone. Just call in and all WiFi would drop in the area. So far, that's not a router modem issue.

And the wired up connections kept humming.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?