Tip

Seiki SE50UY04 picture settings

May 7, 2013 5:14AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/seiki-se50uy04-4k-uhd/4505-6482_7-35757100.html

Calibration report using these settings:
(see below)

TV software/firmware version tested: Unknown

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Seiki SE50UY04 in a dim room via the HDMI input with a 1080p source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: Since I don't have any 4K content, and I wanted to compare the Seiki against 1080p TVs (I had no other 4K Tvs against which to compare it), I used my standard calibration procedure, complete with 1080p test patterns, to arrive at the settings below.

With the lack of available controls, there was little I could do to improve the Seiki's picture beyond the most accurate preset, Movie. It's a good thing Movie wasn't wildly inaccurate.

One issue I had was that the TV's gamma was quite dark after I had set the Brightness control using my standard PLUGE test pattern. The result was severely crushed shadow detail. In the end, after reducing light output to my standard 40fL, I set brightness by eye using program material--an imperfect method, but one that on the Seiki delivered a better picture than the alternative.

Picture menu:
Picture Mode: User
Contrast: 38
Brightness: 58
Color: 36
Tint (grayed out): 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm
Blue Screen: On

Setup menu:
Zoom mode: Wide
Noise Reduction: Off
DLC: Off

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Seiki SE50UY04 picture settings
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Seiki SE50UY04 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Link to Calibration report
May 7, 2013 5:29AM PDT
- Collapse -
Why did you not connect an upscaling Blue Ray Player?
May 8, 2013 9:03AM PDT

I disagree with your review,because you did not use an upscaling Blue Ray player such as the oppo player or Sonys player? These automatically upgrade the picture quality so you can enjoy streaming and blue ray movies
the way they should look on this TV.

Every review that I read on this gave it 5*****star rating

- Collapse -
Many menu items are greyed out
Jun 10, 2013 4:30AM PDT

How were you able to adjust the sharpness? It is greyed out on my set, along with Tint and Color. I'd *really* like to tone down the Seiki's aggressive sharpening processing.

- Collapse -
Seiki updates from a week of Hair Pulling
Aug 2, 2013 11:35PM PDT

You can follow my agony for the last week since purchasing and receiving the Seiki 50" 4K, at the AVS Official Seiki Forum.
Summing up the following findings were found:
Do NOT calibrate Brightness past 48 - it moves the Blacks towards Red, and triggers a Background light composed of Reds and Dark Blues. I set Brightness at 48, and then do the best I can with the Contrast, then reset the Backlight to bring it to a reading of 40fL.
HDMI 3 has issues that Seiki is working on. (Made my first calibrating mistake by using it. Now use 1 or 2)
Greyscale issue at 20, and somewhat at 10. Once the 2 Point is setup, then usually 30 to 100 are below the 3 line.
Main Menu Settings on my set: Contrast: 52, Brightness: 48, Colour: 39, Warm, Sharpness: 0, Backlight 40. (Going over 60 on BL will also cause issues.) Noise Reduction and DLC: Off
Service Menu settings: Red Gain: 141, Green Gain: 141, Blue Gain: 116
Red Offset: 520, Green Offset: 510, Blue Offset: 510
Working with Seiki re the Greyscale issues, and have requested a fix for the `Off the Chart' Cyan issue.
Also will see if they can improve upon the failing results in S&M 2 Video Processing Motion tests.
ChadB also pointed me in the Direction of Calman's Colour Matching feature which I applied to the Seiki last night. (Will also see if it helps some of my older LG 55LHX issues.)
This set is starting to really look good! Anyways, my 2 cents worth.
PS. Wishful thinking - Local Dimming

CNET Forums

Forum Info