HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Seeking help with wireless printing

by Jonhhunt / April 23, 2008 10:48 PM PDT

I have a laptop running XP Professional. My desktop is an iMac with the latest version of the Mac OS. I have a dlink di524 router connected to the iMac.

I connect wirelessly with the laptop. I can print directly from the laptop to a Epson Stylus C88 when I plug it directly into the laptop.

Is it possible to print wirelessly from my laptop?

I do have sharing turned on in the printer preferences on the iMac.

Thanks for any assistance.

In the unlikely event that it helps I also have Parallel software running on the iMac.

Jon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Seeking help with wireless printing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Seeking help with wireless printing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmmm, yet another wireless printing problem with
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 11:56 AM PDT

a DLink router as the central point.

I wonder, have you spoken to D-Link about this problem?

There is a distinct possibility that the Dlink Di524 does not support wireless printing.

It would be worth a phone call to find out

P

Collapse -
thanks
by Jonhhunt / April 24, 2008 10:25 PM PDT

I haven't talked to dlink, but I suspect you are correct. I will follow that track.

Thanks.

Collapse -
I own the 524.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 12:38 PM PDT

This router does not have a printer server in it. However you may want to have the Mac serve up the printer rather than have the router try to do that.

I can state with authority that the 524 would not stop such print sharing over wifi.

Collapse -
Question
by Jonhhunt / April 24, 2008 8:47 PM PDT
In reply to: I own the 524.

Thanks, but what do you mean by have the mac serve? Can you point me to documentation to tell me how to do that?

Collapse -
Go to System Preferences
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Question

Sharing Pane and check the box marked Printer Sharing.

You should see all the Printers that are physically connected to your Mac, in the Pane on the right.

Check the box next to the printer and you are done.

That printer is now shared and "should" show up on the Wireless machine. You will still need the printer software installed on the receiving Mac.

P

Collapse -
Bonjour is the software you need to install on your PC
by easyed51 / April 25, 2008 5:06 PM PDT

Click this hyperlink or copy and paste this address to your PC's web browser and download.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html

About Bonjour
Bonjour, also known as zero-configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. Bonjour uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically discover each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers.

System requirements
Bonjour requires Windows 2000/2003, Windows XP or Windows Vista. Make sure you have the latest Service Pack installed for your computer using Windows Update.

At this Apple support page, you can download Bonjour to your PC. You'll also have to enable Printer Sharing on you iMac's Sharing Preference Pane and, perhaps, tweak the iMac Firewall in the iMac's Security Preference Pane.

The Apple discussions and support have excellent step by step articles. I've done it.

Collapse -
thanks
by Jonhhunt / April 25, 2008 8:30 PM PDT

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Collapse -
Is it possible to print wirelessly from my laptop
by shengja / May 7, 2008 11:35 AM PDT

If the home PC is hooked up to the wireless router and turned on then you can share the printer, so that you can print wirelessly using your laptop, if you already have a home network setup, then right click the printer icon on the home PC and click sharing, from that point you can share the printer, you will need to give it a name also.

Good day,
brochure printing

Collapse -
"PC centric" response misses the question
by easyed51 / May 7, 2008 1:17 PM PDT

The questioner has the iMac tethered by ethernet to his wireless router. The PC is wirelessly connected to the a home network.

Collapse -
shengja - That link in your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2008 8:53 PM PDT

Is not on topic in your other post and why I removed your post there.

Do not use the forums to advertise or your posts shall vanish.
Bob

Collapse -
Other option
by vrod2003 / May 8, 2008 11:40 PM PDT

I hope the solutions offered worked out for you. I have a MacPro and MacBook Pro as well as a HP and Toshiba laptop connected to my DLink DIR-655 Wireless N & Gigabit Router. To handle the printer serving function I explored a number of software options including Bonjour, but had some firewall issues on the PC's and saw an increase in the number of attacks on the router. It made no sense to me, but it went away when I got rid of the software.

I bought and installed the DLink DPR-1260 Wireless Printer Server. It works like a charm.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.