Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Seeking complete Windows 7 Security guide.

by Arianax / July 2, 2013 8:09 PM PDT

Hi all,
I've recently become acutely conscious of my home network's security and how to ensure that others aren't aware of my network activity, browsing habits and secure files and folders.

I'm running a wireless home network based around a netgear router and my main PC is running Windows 7.

Can anyone tell me the most effective ways to identify intrusions on my computer (not via internet security packages, as most potential hackers would identify my internet security package and simply download one of the many thousands of well-updated programs to evade detection/prevention) and how to track them to their source or at least prevent them consistently, without relying on firewalls/antivirus (which I already have).

I'm keen not to default to my firewall/antivirus, since I think the intruder(s) knows me personally and already knows which program I use. Like I said, a quick visit to a warez site will provide thousands of programs to evade detection by any of hundreds of consumer security suites.

Any advice appreciated. I'm tech savvy enough to pursue quite in-depth options if given a guide or links to knowledge databases.

Your advice much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Seeking complete Windows 7 Security guide.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Seeking complete Windows 7 Security guide.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: security
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 2, 2013 8:50 PM PDT

Try surprising the intruders by switching to Linux. All problems solved.

You can continue using Windows 7 on a PC that's not connected to Internet, or - in a dual boot configuration - by disabling the network interface in Device Manager when working locally.

Kees

Collapse -
@ Kees_B
by Arianax / July 3, 2013 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: security

I already tried the Linux trick. They're onto that now.

I'd much rather identify the intrusion source and establish culpability.

Failing that, at least get a safe install of windows where I can detect further intrusion attempts. I'd much prefer to be able to trust my computer rather than have criminals exploiting my enjoyment of my time.

Collapse -
Do you work for one of the TLA agencies?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: @ Kees_B

Given they often spoof the address, use some VPN or proxy, unless you are NSA, CIA, FBI or MI-6 I don't you'll get far. But your time, your time.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. And if you get close, imaging what does happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 7:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: intrusion attempts
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 7:52 AM PDT

Another good trick. Switch ISP (from ADSL to cable or the other way around). That way, you get another IP-address, which makes they can't find you at first. Some ISP's may offer a variable IP-address in stead of a fixed one. Then you can change that every day or so.

Kees

Collapse -
Another way.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 5:49 PM PDT

If it attacks Windows and Linux, you'll have to intercept it outside the attacked machine. A paclet analyser (a piece of hardware you put somewhere in the network) will let you log and analyse all incoming and outgoing traffic. It's what the profs use in case of network problems.
Since the logging is just a logging, and the analysis can be done on a stand-alone PC, you're sure to get all the facts you need without any possible interference from outside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_analyzer is a useful introduction.

Kees

Collapse -
Good advice so far.
by Arianax / July 3, 2013 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Another way.

Thanks for the advice so far. s you can probably tell, I'm keen to keep get my network as secure as possible, and if I pick up some networking and security know-how along the way, so much the better.

Any more advice welcome.

Collapse -
Answer
I am planning to hook up a wireless router
by DChrisL / July 6, 2013 7:16 AM PDT

I had purchased a D-Link wireless router and it has a built-in firewall. I have Comcast and I can download Norton 360 plus, will also get Constant Guard which will password protect my credit card.
I have Avast installed and they will sell you protection for WIFI. I had purchased one month which was good since I am on a fixed income.
Plus, I am installing all the HOSTS file into both laptop and desktop, along with SuperAntispyware Free Edition and Malwarebytes Antimalware and I feel confident I will have enough protection. Darrell

Collapse -
I have added another item.
by DChrisL / July 15, 2013 8:17 PM PDT

One is found in Downloads from CNET and it is this: www.hsselite.com/. That is for Hot Spot Shield and is in Switzerland and HQ is in California. It uses VPN Technology and it changes the IP Address, t is not even warm to my real IP. Also, has extras for iPhones and more.

Collapse -
Answer
UTM
by Zouch / July 12, 2013 7:45 PM PDT

Hi,
it sounds like you want/need to take network security to a much deeper level than commonly used in the consumer environment. That being the case, you need to invest in a Unified Threat Management appliance, which as its name implies is a unified hardware solution that monitors and controls access to your network.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_threat_management for a description of UTM.

Then if you decide that's for you, Google for a few suppliers and compare features and functions. Such devices start at a few hundred dollars for an entry level device to many thousands for devices that make Fort Knox look like a paper bag! All depends how important security is to you.

Good Luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?