Cameras forum

General discussion

Seeking advice on purchasing first camera

by newNconfused / November 16, 2004 1:51 AM PST

I'm interested in taking up photography as a hobby, but have never owned a serious camera before, digital or otherwise. I'd want to be able to photograph outdoors well such as nature, buildings, scenery since that's what I'm most interested in. I'm a college student though, so I'd also want to be able to take good quick snap shots. I'm looking in the $300-$400 range right now since I'm on a budget obviously and so far I've seen the Canon Powershot A80 (or A95 or A75), S410, and the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-V1 look good. Konica Minolta Dimage Xg sounds good too. I guess right now I'm leaning towards one of those first Canon Powershots. Any recommendations? And is the fact that it's powered by the alkaline batteries rather than lithium gonna be a nuisance? the added weight and bulk I mean.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

P.S. Although I'm new to photography, I'm not concerned about getting a "user-friendly" camera, I'm more concerned with getting whatever can give the best results for the price. So I'd be willing to put in time and learn the intricacies needed for a more complex camera if that's what's better.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Seeking advice on purchasing first camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Seeking advice on purchasing first camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Seeking advice on purchasing first camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 7:12 AM PST

You also want to learn about photography.
Go to:
The Kodak site:
http://www.kodak.com

Near the top of the screen, click on a button called:
"Taking Great Pictures"

They have a wealth of information that will help you be a good photographer.

If the college has a photography club, be sure to join. It is always nice to know people who can help with your new hobby.

Now for the equipment:

The Canon S410 and the Konica Minolta Xg are point-and-shoot cameras and do not fit the profile you are looking for.

The "A" series of Canon cameras are all a good choice.
Just pick one based on how much you want to spend. They are all intermediate level cameras with all the manual over-ride controls.

The Sony V1 is in a class that is a notch above the Canon "A" series of cameras. I am seeing bargain prices on this camera lately. Some dealers are phasing it out and plan on selling the V3 instead.
The V1 is still a good choice.

Many people prefer a camera that uses alkaline AA batteries. If a set of batteries poop-out during a long session of photographing, you can always find alkaline batteries at any store and finish your day of shooting.

You should, of course, buy a set of rechargable NiMH AA batteries. Two reasons: it will prove to be far cheaper in the long run and NiMH batteries will give you maximum photo time between charges. A set of NiMH batteries and charger sell for as little as $10 at WalMart.

Collapse -
Re: Seeking advice on purchasing first camera
by newNconfused / November 16, 2004 8:06 AM PST

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think I'm going with the Canon A series, it looks to supply everything I want and I've had a couple people recommend it now. The link you gave for learning about photography looks like it will be very helpful and I'm starting to read through some of it now. Thanks for the quick reply and useful advice!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.