Tablets forum

General discussion

seek comments on Windows Tablets

by young707 / March 16, 2014 5:35 AM PDT

Is there specific Windows Tablets forum here?

I am shopping for a Windows Tablets to replace basic tasks of my Windows laptop while travelling.

Can you please tell me which Windows Tablet can do these best :
1. Outlook email?
2. connect to mouse & keyboard easily
3. can do copy & paste (I use Android Tablets and this copy & paste tasks are tough).

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: seek comments on Windows Tablets
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: seek comments on Windows Tablets
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I want
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2014 5:44 AM PDT

Is the Asus T100 (not to be confused with the T1000.) It's the real deal and not a budget buster.

I'll skip any deep details but it is NOT Windows RT which is a no-sale to me. Sure if it was free, but it's far too off the mark for my use.

If you want to get old style, install Classic Shell on it.
Bob

Collapse -
Is Asus T100 Windows Tablets replacement for Windows laptop?
by young707 / March 17, 2014 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: What I want

Bob. Thank you for your response.
In the Asus T100 spec, the weight for Tablet is 1.2lbs Dock is 1.2lbs. That means while travelling, the total weight is 2.4lbs. How to connect mouse, via USB?
Is this heavy compare to other 10" or smaller tablets? The Lenovo Miix 2 Windows Tablet is only 0.77lbs.

Collapse -
do week need this hugh & heavy keyboard+docking for travel
by young707 / March 17, 2014 2:47 AM PDT

Looking at this Asus T100 keyboard+dock -- it is hugh and heavy. I do not need this for travelling. What is the alternative?

Collapse -
Then a big phone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2014 2:51 AM PDT

The office has the similar Transformer and I don't consider it huge and heavy. As the T100 is too much I doubt what you want is made yet.
Bob

Collapse -
any other micro USB keyboard/mouse options just for travel?
by young707 / March 17, 2014 4:39 AM PDT

Thank you. Is there any other smaller/lighter keyboard option for travel with T100?
Is there any micro USB keyboard / mouse can fit into this without using the dock?

I assume the dock connector is different compare to other connectors?

Collapse -
At this point
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2014 4:42 AM PDT

I have to write what you want is not made yet.
Good hunting,
Bob

Collapse -
Try Thinkpad 8
by A-Train126 / March 17, 2014 10:49 AM PDT

From the reviews my friends gave me they say that the Thinkpad 8 is the best deal for the price. It has full Windows 8.1 and a starting price of $299.00. Might be worth looking into.

Collapse -
Nice choice too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2014 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Thinkpad 8

The 8 inch screen would have me screaming though. Let's see what the OP wants.

Collapse -
If price
by samkh / March 17, 2014 11:50 PM PDT

is no big object why not the Surface Pro 2 with all the bells, whistles and accessories?

Then again if you think about how to get a tablet up to (almost) laptop functionality, it'll weigh almost as much. That is a tradeoff I consider unworthy.

Won't you settle for a Thinkpad X1 Carbon or an Asus Zenbook? Pick the resolution carefully after you actually see the screen - it's a very personal preference based on your eyes!

Collapse -
Answer
by jupiter2014 / March 18, 2014 4:34 PM PDT

Asus T100, I guess, or Surface Pro2 if you have a bigger budget.

Collapse -
compare all the Windows tablets
by young707 / March 19, 2014 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer

Well, thank you for all your responses.

I am using a Thinkpad X61 (10" Windows 7 with SSD hard drive) since 2007.
I travel and work international. Must able to do Outlook for volume email. So light weight is important issue.

I found Lenovo Miix 2 quite good 8" tablet at 0.77 lbs with Office Outlook. The unknown is blue-tooth keyboard/mouse.

The Asis T100 is 2.4 lbs this is heavy but with all the features. But I am not gaining much compare to my current Thinkpad.

Collapse -
The T100 tablet is 1.2 pounds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2014 4:46 AM PDT

The keyboard includes another battery which is where the weight comes in. Sadly I don't think what you want is made yet. The Miix does support a BT keyboard and that's where I'll stop on the Lenovo. If they won't answer a pre-sales question then they don't deserve your attention.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!