Speakeasy forum

General discussion

See BS caught in deliberate fabrication.

I'm hearing a report on the radio that See BS broadcast an interview with Ken Starr on Monday night in which Starr condemned the Republican effort to exercise the 'nuclear' option on judicial nominations.

In the interview, Starr is shown responding to a question(s) on the 'nuclear' option, and expressing in very strong terms the opinion that this is a grave mistake and will severely damage the institution of the Senate.

Starr has reportedly issued a statement saying that the remarks included in the video segment were responding to a question on the Democrat filibuster. He, in fact, thinks the Republican 'nuclear' strategy is correct.

See BS is reportedly refusing to release a full transcript of the interview.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: See BS caught in deliberate fabrication.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: See BS caught in deliberate fabrication.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm finding the clip of this interview has been pulled

In reply to: See BS caught in deliberate fabrication.

offline. I wonder why. ShadowTV says it was aired by CBS on May 9 at 18:36:27. They still have a transcript of what was broadcast.

>> That's great. Thank you, mike wallace. In washington, an epic battle that has been threatened for months now may be coming to a head: the republican threat to try to change senate rules and do away with filibusters, to make it easier to confirm some of the president's judicial appointments. It sounds like inside baseball, but it could have a dramatic impact on everything from abortion and same sex marriage to the death penalty and taxes. Gloria borger has our report. It is an arrogance an abuse of power >> reporter: as far as political fights go, this could be one for the history books. The senate showdown is over judges. Republicans, who want to get the president's nominees confirmed, are threatening to end the age- old filibuster where any senator can threaten to stop any vote just by continuously talking. Right now it takes 60 votes to cut him off. The democrats call that unconstitutional, an assault on the system of checks and balances bridge. But this fight goes way beyond senate rules. This is a monumental battle about the future of the courts. Who gets to sit on the supreme court? And how should we appoint judges who want to rule on everything from abortion to gay marriage to civil rights? That's why many conservatives consider the fight over judges their political armageddon. But conservative icon and former federal judge ken starr says it has gotten out of control. >> This is a radical, radical departure from our history and our traditions, and it amounts to an assault on the judicial branch of government. >> Reporter: starr, who prosecuted the monica lewinsky case against president clinton, even tells cbs news that the republican plan to end the filibuster may be unwise. >> It may prove to have the kind of long-term boomerang effect, damage on the institution of the senate, that thoughtful senators may come to regret. >> Reporter: still, starr thinks all judges should be allowed a vote, even if they're democrats. During the clinton years... >> Exactly. >> Reporter: ...Lots of those nominees were blocked by republicans in committee, you'll recall. >> Exactly. I don't think that's particularly admirable. >> Reporter: both sides realize they have a lot at stake here, so expect to hear more talk about a possible compromise, because polls show more partisan wrangling is not what the public wants. >> Well, seeing ken starr, of all people, >> schieffer: washington isn't coming out on what looks like the opposite side of many in the conservative wing at the republican party tells me that both sides here may be looking for some way out of this showdown that is coming. Do you get that sense, gloria? >> I do get that sense. The polls are showing that the voters really want this wrangling to stop. I think ken starr is saying that those on the far right and those on the far left have both gone overboard, that the president ought to get the right to pick his judges. And we ought tmove beyond where we were when we had the justice bourke fight in the '80s >> thank you very much, gloria.

The Democrats were fooled. They are saying this on 'The community weblog of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee';

KEN STARR IS AGAINST THE NUCLEAR OPTION: "This is a radical, radical departure from our history and our traditions, and it amounts to an assault on the judicial branch of government." Starr went on to say that, "It may prove to have the kind of long-term boomerang effect, damage on the institution of the Senate, that thoughtful Senators may come to regret." (CBS Evening News, 5/9/05)

I'm not finding a Starr statement yet.

Collapse -
Here is part of Ken Starr's reply...

In reply to: I'm finding the clip of this interview has been pulled

written in an e-mail to Ramesh Ponnuru (Senior Editor for National Review) who contacted him specifically to ask about SeeBS coverage.

This seemed like a very odd thing for Starr to say, so I contacted him.

He forwarded to me an email he had sent to someone else who had asked about this matter:

"In the piece that I have now seen, and which I gather is being lavishly quoted, CBS employed two snippets. The 'radical departure' snippet was specifically addressed -- although this is not evidenced whatever from the clip -- to the practice of invoking judicial philosopy as a grounds for voting against a qualified nominee of integrity and experience. I said in sharp language that that practice was wrong. I contrasted the current practice . . . with what occurred during Ruth Ginsburg's nomination process, as numerous Republicans voted (rightly) to confirm a former ACLU staff lawyer. They disagreed with her positions as a lawyer, but they voted (again, rightly) to confirm her. Why? Because elections, like ideas, have consequences. . . . In the interview, I did indeed suggest, and have suggested elsewhere, that caution and prudence be exercised (Burkean that I am) in shifting/modifying rules (that's the second snippet), but I likewise made clear that the 'filibuster' represents an entirely new use (and misuse) of a venerable tradition. . . .

"[O]ur friends are way off base in assuming that the CBS snippets, as used, represent (a) my views, or (b) what I in fact said."

http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/05_05_08_corner-archive.asp

The CBS show video is here and you can see that Starr is indeed being quoted out of context -
http://election.cbsnews.com/sections/politics/video_sectionPolitics.shtml (the negativity rating for the videos listed sure doesn't support any conclusion other than strong liberal bias for See BS)

Collapse -
Don't you just love, however, ...

In reply to: See BS caught in deliberate fabrication.

... IF this had been an accurate quote -- all of a sudden Ken Starr is no longer the devil incarnate! LOL

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.