Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Security Watch: Windows security on your Mac

by Robert Vamosi / April 7, 2006 6:12 AM PDT

The following Security Center Weekly discussion question relates to this week's Security Watch column:

Security Watch: Windows security on your Mac
It's possible now to run Windows XP on your Intel-based Mac. But for many loyal Mac users, security is relatively new terrain. Here's a primer that helps you get the benefits of Boot Camp and still be safe.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6486371-1.html

For discussion: "Are you likely to buy an Intel-based Mac for the opportunity to run Apple and Microsoft apps on one machine?"

Feel free to join the discussion.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Security Watch: Windows security on your Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Security Watch: Windows security on your Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Price Tag
by Scott Simontis / April 8, 2006 1:41 AM PDT

I would be using a Mac right now if it weren't for the price tag. It seems that for the same price as an Apple computer, I can get a better equiped Mac. I would consider the mini, but I don't want integrated graphics.

Collapse -
Re: Security Watch: Windows security on your Mac
by srbradbury / April 9, 2006 6:30 PM PDT

How about a "why would I want to ruin a good Mac with that crap" option?

Collapse -
I won't put Windows on a Mac
by Guido Muldoon / April 9, 2006 6:45 PM PDT

I already have an Intel MacBook Pro as well as a PowerBook G4 and a G5 Quad. There is nothing I need or want to do that I cannot already do using Mac OSX and compatible Apple and third party software. Besides that, after years of putting up with Windows and Bill Gates and his minions I finally switched entirely to Mac platforms. I'm not here to argue pros and cons of Windows vs. Mac. I'm no more interseted in anyone's opinion on that subject than I am interested in their views on religion or politics. The stated subject for discussion is:

"Are you likely to buy an Intel-based Mac for the opportunity to run Apple and Microsoft apps on one machine?"

The answer is a resounding no. I will never again buy any machine to run any Windows OS or apps. Only Mac. I would smash my computers with a fire axe before I would dual boot Windows.

Collapse -
why not
by fphildirt / April 10, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

the only thing wrong is it cannot be used onder mac ,,, so most of us have macs that donot contain intel ,,,why not make aprogram the whole community can use?????

Collapse -
64 bit Extreme Chips are coming out soon thats why not!
by Bro.Bob / April 10, 2006 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: why not

I can not understand why it always one way the Mac way or the highway!
as we speak Intel is closing the gap with photoshop with faster extreme chips that can handle the games and the photoshop abilities,that mac could and PC could not.
once they come to the notebooks with 64 bit cabablitys
then no more worrys about who has better OS or not or which one you can run!
both need to worry about security and both are open to viruis threats whats up here C/NET!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
I clicked no, but not because of the price!
by TrackStar1682 / April 10, 2006 2:13 AM PDT

Give me OS-X installable on standard Intel/AMD hardware and then we can talk!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.