Alert

Security Update MS16-023 installs new “Get Windows 10” ..

.. functionality

Mixing security updates with non-security content is never a good idea, but it is particularly worrisome when Microsoft pushes new "get Windows 10" functionality on Windows 7 and 8.1 systems that one cannot get rid of without removing the security update itself as well.

Security update MS16-023, released as part of the March 2016 Microsoft Patch Day, looks on first glance like any other security update Microsoft released for one of its operating systems.

In its summary, Microsoft notes that it "resolves several reported vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer", of which the most severe "could allow remote code execution" if users open web pages that were created to exploit the vulnerabilities.

Continued : http://www.ghacks.net/2016/03/09/security-update-ms16-023-installs-new-get-windows-10-functionality/

Additional information:
Windows patch KB 3139929: When a security update is not a security update
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042155/microsoft-windows/windows-patch-kb-3139929-when-a-security-update-is-not-a-security-update.html
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Security Update MS16-023 installs new “Get Windows 10” ..
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Security Update MS16-023 installs new “Get Windows 10” ..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You Can Update

I installed update KB 3139929. I found Windows Update in Manage Add Ons -> All Add Ons. I simply disabled it and haven't had any issues or Get Windows 10 advertising.

- Collapse -
No problems here (yet)
KB3139929 was installed in two Windows 7 x64 machines.
I haven't had any issues with any of the infamous Windows 10 ads.

To be noted: never installed KB3035583.
I have no idea if that helps.

I will certainly report if anything related happens.
- Collapse -
From what I see, the ad shows in IE11?

If you don't use IE11, then no show?

- Collapse -
IE11 is installed

And still no show.

Checked IE for installed add-ons, nothing to report.
Using IE11 more frequently and still no Windows 10 ads.

Just reporting, not complaining.
Wink

- Collapse -
Reports are unclear on this.

It's unclear what triggers the nag screen. Stay tuned.

- Collapse -
Related or not?

Windows 10 update re-offered via Windows Update.

Could this be related to this KB or maybe just a new version of Windows 10?
Offered as Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586.

- Collapse -
W7&IE11

The last batch of msft updates fed me kb929.
There is nothing in add-ons about windows update.
No idea what that means.
Some folks get the add-on others don't?

Perhaps this will get sorted in the future.

CNET Forums