General discussion

security suites verses standalones

I want to protect my computer as much as possible but I am a little confused.
Am I better getting the best of each element e.g. virus scanner, fire wall, anti spy ware etc and using them or getting a top rated suite like Norton internet security.

Redd2

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: security suites verses standalones
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: security suites verses standalones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
security suites verses standalones

Not familiar with Norton internet security but using NAV or AVG and freebies like Sygate Personal Firewall, Winpatrol, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE , and keeping temp files cleaned out regularly has done an excellent job of keeping me out of trouble for several years now.

- Collapse -
It's a question of choice really

but I am like caktus, I use individual programs for anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-adware, and a firewall.

Suites like Nortons and McAfee are good, but in my view they tend t do too much, and so become bloated and try to take over your system with protective agents and back-up facilities and scanners, all working at the same time.

So for me, small "is" beautiful, and size really "does not" matter, Happy

Mark

- Collapse -
security

Thanks-that gives me something to think about.
Simple is always the way to go if it does the Job.
Many thanks

Redd2

CNET Forums

Forum Info