HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Security Suite For Vista

by raks1991 / March 21, 2007 5:14 AM PDT

Which is the best security suite that is compatible with vista?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Security Suite For Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Security Suite For Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are several that work.
by mopscare42 / March 21, 2007 10:42 AM PDT

I think by now there are a lot that are Vista compatable.
I use Norton Internet security 2007 and have no problems with it.
I read a lot of people don't like it because it is a resource hog. In my case I don't find that to be true.
Go to a computer store and ask what their techs. use for Vista and what works the best with the least amount of trouble.

Collapse -
NOD32 2.7, however,.........
by Igiveup2 / March 22, 2007 3:45 AM PDT

...while NOD32 is the most advanced heuristic scanner I'm aware of, it does not come with a firewall. The consensus seems to be that the Windows Defender firewall needs to be supplemented with a true configurable two-way firewall. I would complete that suite with a Netcraft toolbar or McAfee Site Advisor (both available as free downloads) and a cross-domain scripting blocker. I'm not aware of a cross-domain scripting blocker being available with any of the all-in-one security suites, however, it is important protection against attacks from legitemate but hacked websites.

More on NOD32. It's written in assembly language, so it performs fast scans and is light on your system's resources. It's heuristic scan recognizes attack behavior and blocks it regardless of whether or not the attack is on a list of known attacks. When an attack is blocked, the NOD32 server is contacted with the data from the attack. The NOD32 server compiles data from similar attacks into an attack profile that is then used to update the list of known attacks. The updates occur within hours of an attack incident. NOD32 has been very highly rated in reviews on several security websites. Check it out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.