Computer Help forum

General discussion

Security Software

Hi, I have a Emachine T5026. I'm running windows XP. The system came with Nortion Antivirus protection which is good for 90 days. I also have sypbot on the computer.
Yesterday for some reason the computer was running very slow. It took 30 seconds to open any program on the computer and I couldn't get online. I tried everything to solve this problem, however I ended up calling Emachine customer service.
They told me to do several things to the computer which helped the computer go a little faster, however I couldn't get online. The tech person told me that I needed more security software, 'Norton Internet Security, Ghost, Pre-Empt, Window Washer and Spy Sweeper.' The tech told me the they offer all this software for $99.99.
I told the tech person that I already had spyware protection, Spybot and the Nortion Antivirus software. Well anyway I bought the software, thinking it was a good deal and that my computer problem would be solved.
After I hung up the phone the computer went back urnning very slow. This time I called AOL help. The Aol tech told me to do seveal things on the computer and the computer was working great again.
Now I have new software and I was thinking of sending it back becuse it wasn't my problem.
Should I send it back? It's not open.
Thanks Jon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Security Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Security Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE

In reply to: Security Software

I would send it back. My personal opinion, Norton is horrible. My son's new PC came with Norton and a 6 month subscription. Started having problems, ran a full system scan with Norton, came up clean. Installed AVG Free, found 47 infections which it cleaned, PC ran perfect after that. Everyone I know raves over how great norton is, but I think its horrible, especially compared to Panda, Bitdefender, and some other lesser known companies. The great thing about AVG, is they have a free version. As for added spyware protection, I use 2, Spybot search and destroy, and Ad-Aware from Lavasoft. Both free. Want a free firewall, try Zonealarm. Spend the $100 bucks on more memory for your computer, use the free software versions that work better.

Collapse -
Send it back

I'm going to agree with the other person. Norton products have gone downhill in a huge way the past couple of years. AVG Free is an excellent virus scanner that does everything the average person needs, free.

You might also want to include Microsoft's anti-spyware program to the list of Adaware and Spybot. No one program catches everything (and spybot tends to catch very little these days), but between those three, you should be able to get virtually everything. You can also vastly reduce your risk of spyware if you stop using Internet Explorer and/or Outlook Express. Drop in Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird instead. Probably 99% of all spyware is designed to exploit IE, so by not using IE, you can sidestep the entire problem.

Also, let this be a lesson NOT to call eMachines tech support. It seems parent company Gateway is having them peddle crap software on people such as yourself. You must have gotten incredibly lucky with AOL's tech support, because I would have expected them to be about equally as worthless.

Collapse -
On the other hand. . .

This has been copied from another thread. . .

I'm running NSW 2005 on two XP machines. Absolutely zero problems. What I've found is that people with problems with NSW 2005 have flaky PCs to begin with. The PCs are either under powered and overworked, or the drivers are not careful what they do with them.

I've been using Norton products since before most nerds have been born. The few glitches I've had have been fixed with a visit to the Symantec site, or a phone call. In my experience, superb support. Again, in my experience. But my PCs are squeaky clean, powered perfectly, and driven by someone who's careful about what is installed and downloaded.

That said, I've had zero infections using NSW and NAV over the years. I will agree that it can be resource hog. But I've seen people try to run XP on a five year old machine, add NSW 2005, and complain that their system is slow. Well, duh!

Don't attempt it unless you have a perfect system, at least a 1 Gig processor, and ample RAM. Mine (both of them) are such and I'm totally satisfied.

Now, as for the rest, visit my site below and scroll down to the Anti-Spyware Suite. Do a short read and download the free software. As I mentioned above, I have never been infected.

Good luck,

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones, internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
RE to Cory

In reply to: On the other hand. . .

Why settle for "average" performance that you pay alot of money for, when you can have great performance for free. Even though I have automatic updates enabled, I manually check for updates daily. I never had an infection with Norton either, at least I thought so, until I installed AVG. 5 years ago, even 2 years ago, I would have swore by Norton. Today, they just don't cut it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!