Video Cameras forum

General discussion

security recorder

I am considering the purchase of this security system, 2.4G Wireless Home Security System with Infrared UK252. I need to know more about how it works. Can I connect it to something and record? If so, what all can I connect it to for recording?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: security recorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: security recorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I tried locating the

In reply to: security recorder

"system" to which you refer. I could not easily find that specific item - but I get the impression it is some sort of consumer-grade CCTV surveillance camera that transmits the video image wirelessly to a base station. The camera will still use a wire for power - so just a heads up for you.

The base station likely has an analog/composite video connection that is either an RCA or BNC jack. If BNC, you can get an inexpensive BNC/RCA adapter. The base station will also need a power connection.

The irony is that this "wireless video system" actually uses more wires than a "wired" camera... (three vs one). But I digress.

To record the video from this "wireless video system" you have some options (if my assumptions are correct on what this really is). To narrow down those options, we need to understand your budget and if you want the video:

1) in a computer. If so, what computer are you wanting that video in?

2) to be store external to a computer - like with a regular VCR, security VCR or some sort of Digital Video Recorder. And whether you want the video recording all the time, or just when someone presses a record button. As well, knowing how long the video recording needs to be stored - mine records 4 different surveillance cameras with full-motion video up to around 30 days before the oldest files are over-written with new video.

3) available over the internet, remotely...

And while we're at it, what are you expecting to happen when a power outage hits? Is battery back up required? How long does that power need to last? Minutes, hours or days?

There's probably more, but this should get our conversation started.

If you could provide a link directly to the product, that would be helpful.

Collapse -
security recording

In reply to: I tried locating the

Yes, that does get us started. Since you are listening, I will explain what I am trying to do. I am trying to record my father during the night. He has dementia and bedwetting issues and I am wanting to see what it is he is doing. My mother is aware I am going to do this, so I am not invading their privacy. So, it could be turned on at night when they go to bed and turned off in the morning. I just need to be able to watch the recording. Do you think I can connect the receiver to my camcorder?
The budget is very limited.
I look forward to replies.

Collapse -
There are very few camcorders with

In reply to: security recording

AV-in capabilities. Since you have not shared the manufacturer and model number with use, we have no way to know. Chances are high that even if your camcorder has AV-in capabilities, the record time won't be long enough.

If you have an old VHS VCR sitting around, that may work - or - if you can find one to purchase, they are inexpensive - as is VHS tape.
http://www.frys.com/product/5999764
You can probably find one cheaper.

Since "cinema quality" is not a requirement, you can set the VHS VCR to EP mode. The record time on a T-120 VHS tape in SP mode is 2 hours (120 minutes), but in EP/SLP mode is 6 hours assuming the VHS VCR you use has EP mode. Is 6 hours enough? There are T-180 VHS tapes available that equates to 9 hours in EP/SLP mode.
http://www.frys.com/product/4277424

If you need more than 9 hours, then we'll need to think through the other (most $) options.

My sympathy for your father's issues...

Collapse -
security recording

In reply to: There are very few camcorders with

This is such helpful information. Where have you been?
I do have a VHS VCR available. I'll have to check on the EP setting. The camera and receiver were available on ebay. This is information available: UK252 CX 2.4G 801C Wireless 4CH Color Video Camera Model No:UK252
2 Power adaptor Adaptors included (one for camera, one for receiver)

Descriptions:

Popular design for family use;
1/3'' CMOS, 380 TV Line; InfraRed Day Night Camera 0LUX
Pinhole lens, easy for hidden;
The smallest and lightest model;
Key-press switch receiver;
4-channels available to avoid interference;
Min 100m tansmission distance without block;
Including adjustable bracket, easy installation.
Each winning bid of this item will include:

ONE PC 2.4G color Camera

ONE 4CH 2.4G Receiver

ONE RCA cable

TWO 12V adaptor (input100-240V)
$55.00
Is this my best choice for the job?

Collapse -
Apparently hiding...

In reply to: security recording

but now exposed.

I don't do eBay.

I learned a long time ago that "best" and "cheapest" are not typically synonymous. I understand your application/budget requirements.

I don't know where you are located. Fry's has a good selection. Radio Shack has a limited selection - there are other sources, too, in case you want to touch/see what you might be getting.

http://www.frys.com/product/5017235
http://www.frys.com/product/4290434
http://www.frys.com/product/5141186

Are similarly priced - and even probably made by the same folks... There are others... Technically, the unit you selected should work just fine for your specific need.

Collapse -
Do I need receiver

In reply to: Apparently hiding...

Or can I just get an IR camera that will hook up to the VCR? I need it to be wired or have an AC adapter to tape through the night. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
If you go with

In reply to: Do I need receiver

=> wireless, the wireless camcorder plugs into power with an AC adapter - but transmits wireless video to a base station. The base station connects to power with another AC adapter - and to the VCR with an RCA cable.

=> wired, there will be a single cable coming out of the camera. At the other end of the cable there will be at least two connectors - one (RCA) plugs into the VCR, the other plugs into power with an AC adapter. (Some also have a third connector for mono-audio.)

The wired IR outdoor cameras I use from Swann and Lorex come with a 60 foot cable. You can get extensions if needed.

Collapse -
What is the advantage of

In reply to: If you go with

having the base station?

Collapse -
With a "wireless" camera,

In reply to: What is the advantage of

if there is no base station (or "receiver"), there is no way to get the wireless video signal into the VCR (or any other video recorder or monitor.

The wireless camera transmits the (wireless) video signal, but there is nothing to receive it.

The advantage to using a wireless security cam is the "installation". Many times, power is easy to get to. Just an AC power outlet. Since the VCR needs power, and the base station can be co-located with the VCR, the wire from the base station to the VCR can be short. - and the AC power adapter for the base station can use the same outlet that the CR uses.

In the case of the wired camera, the cable which connects the camera to the VCR and the camera's power supply may need to be run through walls or over ceilings or under floors.

In your case, I don't know of the VCR needs to be in one room and the camera in another room - or how easy the cable run would be - or if a wireless camera and base station pair are even needed.

Since you started this post with a "wireless" camera, we've sort have been on that path.

The other things I don't know is if the camera needs to be hidden; whether the VCR needs to be out-of sight and whether the construction allows for easy installation of a wired camera.

Collapse -
Nothing needs to be

In reply to: With a "wireless" camera,

hidden. I am planning to set the camera and VCR on top of his chest of drawers that is about 6 feet away from his side of the bed. There is an surge protector strip available very near by.
So, I'm thinking, this guy:

Security & Surveillance

Collapse -
Since nothing needs to be hidden,

In reply to: Nothing needs to be

then there is no need for wireless. I would be concerned about the noise that any VCR makes when the tape transport is running (in this case, recording). This may not be conducive to sleep. But that is your choice.

I can't vouch for the quality of the camera you are selecting. The specs seem OK. For low end consumer grade security cams, I use Swann or Lorex. I tried a Q-See once and was underwhelmed.

One other thing you need to know - in the dark, you can see the IR emitters glowing red. This may not make any difference to you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.