Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Security Patch for Internet Explorer info needed

I have windows 98SE, and Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, and was wondering if I need the latest patch. I went to Windows Update, and the only critical update that was showing for my system was Internet Explorer 6. When I clicked on Windows Catalog, I did notice the critical update for ADODB.stream. I did not notice Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 on the list of versions effected, that is why I was wondering if I need to download and install this patch.
Also, I am considering an alternate browser, and if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks for all the help in advance!

Judy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Security Patch for Internet Explorer info needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Security Patch for Internet Explorer info needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Security Patch for Internet Explorer info needed

In reply to: Security Patch for Internet Explorer info needed

Hi,

It is recommended to install critical update for ADODB.stream. Installing it will prevent things like the
Download-ject Trojan and the iLookup toolbar from installing themselves onto your computer.

Also, I am considering an alternate browser, and if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Use the latest version of Firefox or Mozilla, you can download any of these from www.mozilla.org

Collapse -
Re: Security Patch for Internet Explorer info needed

If you need just a browser and no e-mail try Firefox 0.9.1 I have used it for about a week and it is very good, also easy to use. I downloaded as just a standard browser with no extensions or plugins, did not set it as a default browser as yet. I feel alot more secure now as I have Windows XP Home. If you need the e-mail, you can get Thunderbird as a seperate package or you can go to Mozilla 1.7 and download the whole package.
Larry

Collapse -
Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 is exploitable. No patch issued.

If you research about the Microsoft Code Leak a few months back, an exploit was found in how IE 5.5 SP2 and prior handled (or all things) bitmaps.

Microsoft decided that it was too tough to patch and suggested everone move to IE 6. No known patch is known and Microsoft doesn't seem to be working on it.

What this means is since IE 6 is not able to run on Windows 95, this left those that run the IE 5.5 SP2 and prior versions without a patch and Windows 95 effectively a security issue that you must remove from your business.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 is exploitable. No patch issu

In reply to: Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 is exploitable. No patch issued.

Thanks to everyone for all the info.
I guess that means I need to download and install Internet Explorer 6, then patch it with this latest security patch? Or wondering if I should just forget about all internet explorers and just download the alternative browser, which I would need the email package, also. I have been hesitant over the Internet Explorer 6, since my other runs so well, but security is the main issue here. Being a "newbie", I hate changing things, especially when they are running well. I got that advice from "Grif" several times!
Also, if I would decide to eliminate Explorer all together, should I get all the files off my computer, or just use the alternative browser as my default.
Any more help and suggestions are deeply appreciated!
Again, I have Windows 98SE, and currently using Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2. I also have Mcafee Virus Scan 7, as well as the firewall running.
Thanks for everything!

Judy

Collapse -
Re: Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 is exploitable. No patch issu

In reply to: Re: Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 is exploitable. No patch issu

I guess that means I need to download and install Internet Explorer 6, then patch it with this latest security patch?
------------------
Yes.

Also, if I would decide to eliminate Explorer all together, should I get all the files off my computer
------------------------
If you do such a thing I do not think the machine will run very well and I wonder how you will get future updates.

or just use the alternative browser as my default.
------------------
Yes

Collapse -
"or just use the alternative browser as my default."

If you can use IE 5.5 SP2 for Windows Update and just that, an alternative browser is all you need.

Some have older hardware that needs video and printer driver updates to run IE 6. It's much like being on an upgrade treadmill. The alternative browser can slow the treadmill speed a few notches.

Bob

Collapse -
Judy, With McAfee Virus Scan and Windows Updates....

...you'll need to keep Internet Explorer installed. The ActiveX and Scripting is required for running updates, etc.

I favor Bob's advice here as IE 5.5 SP2 will be sufficient to run the programs above and although I've successfully installed IE 6 SP1 on a number of Windows 98 machines, I've also had problems installing it on some of the older 98 models. It's hard to tell whether it's going to work well or not. On the other hand, my experience is that newer OS and computers tend to run fine on IE 6.

In addition, because of the newer virus and malware vulnerabilities, Internet Explorer, of any version, will need to be locked down in order be safe and normal surfing with either version is questionable. At this time, my prefered browser for Windows 98 is Firefox 0.9.1 which can be downloaded for free at the link below. It's a relatively small download and doesn't seem to strain the resources on older, or newer, computers.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Just my opinion.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Judy, With McAfee Virus Scan and Windows Updates....

In reply to: Judy, With McAfee Virus Scan and Windows Updates....

First of all, thanks to all!
Grif, I did some researching by calling my ISP and asking what browser they recommended, and they said Netscape 7.1. They sorta frowned on Firefox, saying that I if web pages didn't open, it wouldn't be the ISP's fault.(Which it never is anyway!)
I think I will do as you suggested, since I haven't had any probs with Explorer 5.5 SP2, I will just keep that in order to download updates as well as virus definintions from McAfee. I also will download the Firefox version you recommended. You have helped me so much in the past with your guidance and insights.
Again, Thanks to all who have helped me.
I will now go to the site to download my new browser, so until next time. . . .

Judy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Judy, Good Luck And Let Us Know How It Goes

In reply to: Re: Judy, With McAfee Virus Scan and Windows Updates....

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Judy, Good Luck And Let Us Know How It Goes

In reply to: (NT) Judy, Good Luck And Let Us Know How It Goes

Hello again,
Thought I'd update everyone on my Firefox experience.
Downloaded with ease, the 9.1 version. Today, after finding out about a "security patch", I decided to download the 9.2 version, instead of just the security patch.
So far everything is running smoothly. I am still pondering about downloading the Thunderbird email program to replace Outlook Express. I can read my email through my ISP from the webmail, but I was wondering just how safe that really is. My ISP does have an anit-virus program which catches viruses as well as spam, and I have been reading my email through my ISP instead of Outlook Express. After reading some of the Thunderbird forum, I am hesitant about downloading the program.
If anyone can help me with this issue, I would gladly appreciate it.
As far as Firefox, I feel much more secure about browsing. Of course I always have my firewall on as well. My son is impressed that we haven't had any "disconnects", since using Firefox, and his web pages seem to download much quicker.
Thanks again for all the help everyone has given me, and thanks in advance for any info on the email program.

Judy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Judy, Thanks For Posting Back About Firefox !

In reply to: Re: (NT) Judy, Good Luck And Let Us Know How It Goes

Collapse -
Re: Judy, With McAfee Virus Scan and Windows Updates....

In reply to: Re: Judy, With McAfee Virus Scan and Windows Updates....

I have 98 and Ive been running IE6. Though Ive had occassional problems, theyve _not_ been attributed to IE.

[Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Upgrade using OEM CD /SrcDir=F:\WIN98 /IQ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Ive also recently downloaded Firefox. Its really not a big program, things seem to download faster -- especially evident in graphics, and I think its less vulnerable to the various forms of malware. I may switch to Firefox, altogether.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.