HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

Question

Security on a smarphone

by xguy03 / April 21, 2011 5:46 AM PDT

Hi, I have a Htc Incredible . Even before the news broke recently regarding the tracking and security of smartphones, this has been an issue. I tether my laptop sometimes with my phone releasing personal and financial information. I have seen apps like McAfee, Norton and others. Should I download a security suite and if so, what would you recommend?
Thanks, Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Security on a smarphone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Security on a smarphone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 7:36 AM PDT

There is no known way to leak over a tether or data connection beyond the normal ways ie. you are leaking the old fashioned ways.

For now, take Grif's advice for a few second opinion scans -> 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Bob

Collapse -
RE; SECURITY
by xguy03 / April 21, 2011 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: So far.

Thanks Bob, that is really a relief that I can't leak info while tethering or just using the internet on my phone! Thanks for the link.

Collapse -
Security
by xguy03 / April 21, 2011 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: So far.

Bob that was lengthy but very informative, I just hope ypu are right. According to the news, big brother is everywhere!

Thanks, Tony

Collapse -
Answer
"just using the internet on my phone!"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2011 2:46 AM PDT

The link I provided was to cover the PC.

Using the internet on my phone could mean using that browser or other apps. To discuss that leak, we'd have to discuss that any browser must leak a little information such as your IP (even that is transitory) and what ever information you voluntarily give out.

I think you have the voluntary info in clear view. It's those other leaks that bother us. For example, APPS can leak more than folk expected. For now, don't be hasty and install an app if you can avoid it.
Bob

Collapse -
Security
by xguy03 / April 26, 2011 9:34 AM PDT

Yes I am concerned about the phone as I believe I have good security on my PC. The only apps I installed was Gas Buddy, Juice Defender, and PdaNet. I wished I knew how to remove the majority of the preinstalled apps since I don't use them.
Thanks, Tony

Collapse -
If you don't run an app.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2011 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Security

Should be fine. I'm playing with a new app that kills an app on launch. Pretty interesting idea. If you can't remove an app, you use this app to kill it when it launches.

Sounds like a Star Wars defense shield.
Bob

Collapse -
Run an app
by xguy03 / April 28, 2011 11:16 AM PDT

Bob if it works and doesn't drain your battery, please let me know. Sounds interesting!

Thanks, Tony

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.