Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Security News for users of AIM

This is from Jay Loden, the author of AIMFIX, which for those of you that aren't aware of it, is a tool/program for removing viruses that have been circulating through the AIM messaging service.

Jul 01, 2005 09:41PM
Well, it's been a while since my last news post, mostly because I've been insanely busy and/or tired when I actually do have free time. I apologize to anyone who's got a virus that isn't currently removed by AIMFix, but I've had too much work with my new full-time job and hour-long commute to be able to sit down and work out the solution to this one.

There's a virus spreading currently that's similar to the Funner worm, but instead of ''funny.exe'' it's ''Funneh.exe'' - from the same damn website that hosted funny.exe in the first place. I've tried contacting them mulitple times (they're even in my old home state of CT) but their contact information and contact form all point to a nonexistent email address - yay for morons.

This particular virus points links to www.fightbac.com/files/Funneh.exe and sends the same message to all your buddies. Oddly enough, the website is for a ''teat disinfectant'' for cows...go figure. Anyway, the main reason I haven't got a fix for this in AIMFix yet is that for once, it does something new that none of the other virus have so far. I don't know what it is yet, and until I beg/borrow/steal/have donated/whatever a test machine, I can't infect myself to find out what the problem is or how to repair it. I used to have an extra machine I could use for this purpose but it was given away when I moved and I haven't found a way to replace it yet.

I'll do my best to find a fix for this, but in the meantime, the only advice I can give you is to try and download Gaim (If you can't figure out what to download, you can get Gaim here)or Trillian and use one of them to talk on AIM. This may help at least prevent the messages from being sent by the virus, since I'm pretty sure it uses AIM-specific calls to do the sending. It's not a fix, but at least it will hopefully give some respite until I can come up with something.
end quote

more here
http://www.jayloden.com/index.htm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Security News for users of AIM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Security News for users of AIM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
GAIM.

In reply to: Security News for users of AIM

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for the link Bob. :D

In reply to: GAIM.

Collapse -
Appendum on this from Jay Loden

In reply to: Security News for users of AIM

Jul 02, 2005 12:33PM
I have confirmation back from at least one person that using Gaim does indeed prevent the virus message for www.fightbac.com/files/Funneh.exe from showing up. You can download Gaim from the project website by choosing the Downloads link and picking the Windows version. (If this is too complicated for you, just download it here) You may prefer Trillian to Gaim as well.
end quote

more here
http://www.jayloden.com/index.htm

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.