Almost no ISP will respond to "Hey I want to change my Internet address." This is pretty much a dead end as far as security goes. However let's say I wanted to get to the Internet but not directly use my ISP's IP.
How could we do that? Answer! Use a VPN. Now doing this is documented on the web so I'll stop here but repeat it would achieve your IP change and more.
2. Expensive. To use two routers where each has their own Internet doubles the cost of the service. I don't see many doing this. This is why folk just use one router per home.
3. If you feel this way. Time to go with a VPN.
4. In your case I think you are headed straight to a VPN solution.
Hi! I have asked two Q on here so far and hope this is my final one. You've all been great.
I have a lot of Q to ask since I need to cover all that is required to be sure I have a clean network since I have bought a new laptop(old one needed replacing anyways) and a new router.
Please, be patient with me and humor all my Q. I'd appreciate a speedy reply and, if possible, detailed replies. I really need to get this over with.. I'm in a really bad place now and you have no idea how much I need to get this done now and properly.
Here they are:
1. I do not know how the whole ISP thing works. Is it enough to change laptop/ router to make sure all is clear or do I need to change IP address or sth? When I think of the internet connection I think of the cables and the attachment to the phone line(???). I think it is ADSL. ( bear with me ) Is there ath I should do about those or ath else that isn;t router/lap to make sure I have a clean connection(A CLEAN EVERYTHING)? Or my IP address?
2. I have to install the new router. I was thinking of letting my brother use the old one with his lap and with the desktop(he uses a cable there to connect to the router). Would this be troublesome?
If I keep the new(my)router's username and pass and wifi pass to myself and enable a guest option he can use(someone told me their is a guest option) would that keep my PC and personal router(PR-get it?:p) from possible infection or intrusion? I know there is a guest option for wifi, but connection via cable? The cable would be on his router-the old one, but he still uses the same network..
Or, am I going about this the wrong way.. If I we have separate routers, we have separate passes and usernames and wifi passes? If not, is there a guest option for connection via cable?(dreaming..)
Does having my own router keep me from any other influences if someone uses the same network as me, but from another router?
3. This will sound paranoid as hell, but if indeed someone is monitoring me, can they do sth now with the info I;ve given here- that I have a new lap and router, to somehow reconfigure sth network wise or sth that would make buying and all this useless and enable them to have access to the new router., to do sth to the network or w/e. (use your imagination, I know I do )
4. What are the security measures I need to take with my new lap/router?
I bought an Acer with windows 10 OS installed(so I was told). I need AVG and Spybot? Anything else that is important?
As for the router, I need to install it(I have a manual, guy said shouldn;t be hard) then change username, pass and wifi pass. What else is crucial for starters?
Disable remote assistance(or sth) on PC and router?
Check if firewall is enabled on router?
If you have read all of this and have the patience to answer all, I would be eternalllyyyy grateful. I;m in a really messed up and impossible situation(irrespective of the net thing) and this would mean the world to me.
Thanks in advance,