General discussion

Security for wireless router

I have been using D-Link's router model # DI-524UP in wired mode for my laptop. Now, I want to use a second laptop to connect to the router in wireless mode.

The second laptop's current OS/security setup is as below :-

a) Win-XP SP2 (completely patched, vetted by Secunia)
b) AVG AV/AS free 9.0
c) ZA firewall free 7.0.483
d) Sundry utilities/protection software : Ccleaner, Spywareblaster
e) Safe browsing habit

Yes, I shall be upgrading the OS to XP-SP3 within the next three months.

Since I do not understand the wireless security aspects, I had requested a friend, more knowledgeable than me, to do the wireless setup. He tried to setup the router for WPA, but could not due to unknown reasons, so settled with "open system - WEP enabled".

Please advise how to make the second laptop work in WPA mode.

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Security for wireless router
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Security for wireless router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You need WPA or WPA2

You didn't mention the laptop's wireless device. It needs to be WPA capable as well. Upgrade to SP3 ASAP. Make sure your laptop's wireless device has the latest driver as well. If the device came with some wireless management service, turn that off and use Windows wireless zero service instead. In any event, the device needs to be capable above WEP or you'll have to replace it to get reasonable security.

- Collapse -
Wireless device

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for missing the wireless device ... it's a Broadcom 802.11b/g card.

I am not technical, so don't understand all aspects.
You also said "If the device came with some wireless management service, turn that off and use Windows wireless zero service instead". What exactly do I have to do?

- Collapse -
Within the next 3 months?

SP3 is needed for WPA. WEP can be cracked in about 20 seconds. Your choice, upgrade now or . . .

- Collapse -
SP3

Thanks, I get it. I know that WEP is bad, and that's why posted in the forum.

I did some googling, and found links to MS kbs 893357 & 917021 ... is it necessary to install both these patches, before SP2 becomes WPA-compliant?

- Collapse -
Why not just step up to SP3?

It was 3/31/2003 or over 7 years ago these patches came out. Running a dated OS is bad enough but skipping 7 years of patches means you may have encountered too many problems over the past 7 to 10 years.

Time to move up?

- Collapse -
SP3

You say "It was 3/31/2003 or over 7 years ago these patches came out. Running a dated OS is bad enough but skipping 7 years of patches means you may have encountered too many problems over the past 7 to 10 years."

Are you referring to the WPA patches of MS, or SP3? To the best of my knowledge ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP ), SP3 came out only in 2008. I am a non-tech person, and wait for releases to stabilise ... now that MS is sunsetting SP2 by July 2010, I mentioned in my OP, I am going to upgrade to SP3.
If you read my OP, you will see my OS is vetted by Secunia as fully patched. Any issue still? I do take care of my system, the way a non-techie can.

If you are referring to WPA patches, I have in the past always used wired internet ... I never needed wireless. So, there was no need to get those patches. Maybe these were optional updates offered by MS, and I skipped. Secunia never found fault with my patched OS.

Comments please. Thanks,

- Collapse -
Sorry about that.

I used the Microsoft articles to find out when those patches came out. That's when I found it was a very long time ago. I apologize I didn't vet my answer or date with some Microsoft link but this is all volunteer so I don't vet my answers. Some members want nothing less than vetted answers but as this is volunteer you may not get that every time. You are correct that SP3 came out much later and even at 2008 that was years ago and there are patches past that day. My date was from the patches you listed, not SP3.

If you write your OS is fully patched and up to date then run without delay to WPA now. It's not going to be any problem at all.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you

Bob, no need to apologise. You all are doing a great job in these forums, and in the past too I have got some very good guidance from you. I fully understand how tough volunteering is in today's world, with so much professional pressure on most of us.

I just wanted to clarify my thoughts in my post.

Anyway, being a non-tech person, as a first time user of wireless, I want to be very careful in understanding the security aspects. Will keep learning from various sources.

Thanks again,
Ananda

- Collapse -
Hadn't seen those . . .

But one wonders why you won't install SP3. It contains those and more for secure surfing and support for other services.

- Collapse -
I said in my OP, will install SP3 soon ...

So, why do you say "one wonders why you won't install SP3"? Please read my response to the Moderator's reply too.

CNET Forums

Forum Info