Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Security Bulletin MS05-050 Revision

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Security Bulletin MS05-050 Revision
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Security Bulletin MS05-050 Revision
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks Donna!

In reply to: Security Bulletin MS05-050 Revision

Do not know what I did but looks like I needed this update as I had installed the original KB904706 in October.

Thanks again! Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn, You Only Need It If the Quartz.dll File Is Wrong

In reply to: Thanks Donna!

Collapse -
Thanks Grif! This is all very confusing...

In reply to: Glenn, You Only Need It If the Quartz.dll File Is Wrong

Need it or not I think I have it. Since I have DirectX 9.0c and running Win XP with SP-2, it was my reading of the following that I needed the update specified for those circumstances... so I downloaded and installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-050.mspx

Thanks for your help... its difficult to really know what is needed anymore. Sad

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn, XP SP2 Isn't One Of The Problems...

In reply to: Thanks Grif! This is all very confusing...

...and as such you probably didn't need to reinstall the patch..If you read the first answer under the "Frequently Asked Questions" section, you'll note that only W2000 SP4, Windows XP SP1, and Windows 2003 had issues and even then, only when certain circumstances applie.

Still, reapplying the patch won't hurt anything.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No longer important since I now have it installed..

In reply to: Glenn, XP SP2 Isn't One Of The Problems...

But this is where I took my cue that it was needed in MS05-050:

"Affected Software:

Microsoft DirectX 8.1 on Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Microsoft DirectX 9.0c on Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 ? Download the update"

Sorry I did not read the FAQ's

Thanks and it did help!

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn check the version of Quartz.dll

In reply to: Thanks Grif! This is all very confusing...

You mentioned that you have DirectX 9.0c in your Windows XP Service Pack 2. You must have v6.5.2600.2749 for Quartz.dll

Collapse -
Donna, now resolved... I think!

In reply to: Glenn check the version of Quartz.dll

Since I have installed the update it should have taken care of it. Note the above reply to Grif to see why I installed the update... way I read it the update was for DirectX 9.0c used with Win XP SP-2 using the download link they furnished under those criteria.

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

Collapse -
Glad to know you installed it

In reply to: Donna, now resolved... I think!

because "This security update replaces a prior security update."

Great work Glenn!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.