Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Securing My Wireless Network?

by warnerda / March 28, 2006 7:36 AM PST

I have a WRT54G Linksys router, and I would like to secure it. When I check the available wireless connections at home, three are availalbe: Mine, and two others that are secured (I assume they are coming from a neighbours house)

Basically, I want to make it so that I have the little picture of a gold lock on my wireless network connection page, with the words "security-enable wireless network" beside it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Securing My Wireless Network?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Securing My Wireless Network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
since you have a linksys product
by Gakada / March 28, 2006 7:30 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by warnerda / March 29, 2006 3:17 AM PST

for the link. I'll give that a try.

Collapse -
make my unsecured linksys network.......secured
by Spark1e / May 19, 2006 5:01 AM PDT

Hi,
Thanks for your response re: Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I went to the link you suggested, but I'm not sure if that will help me. I also have an "unsecured network" using the same router. The router is connected to my Mom's desktop (Windows ME and cable) and I use it when I visit with my laptop (Windows XP SP2). I also have the same router at home connected to my desktop (Windows Media) with the wireless connection to my laptop. I noticed my home system says "secured wireless" and my Mom's connection says "unsecured wireless". Both I paid to have installed, therefore I am clueless.....just letting you know!!!! I want to make my "unsecured" connection a "secured" connection, but I am desperately afraid I will mess up my computer attempting it. Need help.......Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
So, you want o make your Mom's wireless
by Gakada / May 19, 2006 11:37 PM PDT

pc secured?

NOTE-1: BEFORE configuring your Mom's desktop and router, look at your laptop configuration, and see what you are using at home, by right click the wireless icon in the task bar, open network connection, choose wireless adaptor card, click properties.. you can see what security type you are using.. WEP/WPA/WPA-2 and 64/128 bits etc.

And you have to know what your ''home'' SSID name and password. You may need to enter them, when you connecting at home.

Go to the wireless router configuration page... usually 192.168.1.1 ... no username and admin as the default password...

go to security, choose one from the list... Change the default SSID name (default is linksys, if i'm not mistaken), then I suggest start with WEP 64bit, and enter your password. (I'm not sure if windows ME is compatible with the security things..)

then exit the configuration page...

Now, just to be sure, Turn off everything, including the modem and router... for a few second.. then turn the modem on.. wait until the light stabilized, then turn on the Router... wait, and then turn on your laptop (if you are using the desktop), choose the wireless name you just created.. and type in the password ...

NOTE-2: make a note on what you are doing... what you fill in, what you change etc. So will remember and can re-configure, if needed.

NOTE-3: Windows ME might refuse the security configuration... If it is, then I suggest you use a MAC Address filter...

Collapse -
I'm still a little clueless, but trying to learn
by Spark1e / May 21, 2006 8:16 AM PDT

Thanks so much for replying to my question. I have been trying to understand your response and have been able to check the Wifi Properties, they are as follows:
Mom's Home

Net Authentication: open WPA-PSK
Data Encryption: Disabled TKIP
Network Key: (blank) ........
Confirm Network Key: (blank) ........

How do I find the network key for my Mom's Wifi network? I'm totally lost as to the router config page, you gave me 192.168.1.1. I have searched my computer for ''router config'', I have put the numbers in the address field and I still have no clue.
I hope your not sorry your responded to my question. I'm just so ticked off that my Mom paid to have someone install the wifi and they didn't do it right....I would never had known the settings at my Mom's were not secure if I hadn't had Best Buy in to install wifi at my home.
Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
You need to use encryption on the wireless
by pratapan / May 19, 2006 2:23 PM PDT

All of the consumer routers default to an "Open" network. You need to go into the wireless settings and configure WEP or WPA-PSK. WEP has 2 types, 64 bits and 128 bits. This translates to a 5 character KEY for wep 64 or a 13 characters for WEP 128bit. You have to configure the exact same key on the laptop that wants to use your wireless. If you use Windows to manage wireless, it should prompt you the first time you use the network, for the key. After the first time it should remember the key.

SKrall

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?