Computer Help forum

General discussion

Securing file on PC connected to broadband and home network

by ahw30045 / February 24, 2005 2:18 AM PST

Securing file on PC connected to broadband and home network
I am running Windows XP Home SP2 on a PC at 3.0 GHz with 1 GB RAM. I am connected to other PCs at home on a home network with settings for residential network. I have cable broadband (Comcast) and NetGear MR814v2 Wireless Router (but using cables only, not wireless connections).

With all the financial data on PC (within MS Money, PDF files of online payments, etc) and scans of passports, etc, I am concerned about the security of my data. I have been zipping the data and then using PGP to encrypt. I feel reasonably secure (I know it isn?t enough for a determined hacker) with the encryption. While decrypting & unzipping works for data not often accessed, it is not practical for MS Money and files frequently accessed.

I have changed my important files as ?hidden? using Windows Explorer. Does this help in any way shielding data or can intruders change the settings? If I have the option of ?show hidden files? on my PC, does that make them ?visible? to intruders?

I assume there are programs that can open secure files on the fly, but what about when I open my MS Money data file: while I have to change the file before Money can use it? Can someone recommend solutions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Securing file on PC connected to broadband and home network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Securing file on PC connected to broadband and home network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
External storage
by Yew / February 24, 2005 2:43 AM PST

There are very few uses I can ever come up with for Zip drives anymore, but you seem to fit the bill almost perfectly.

You can buy yourself an older 100 or 250MB Zip drive second hand for practically nothing, and 2-3 Zip disks and you'll probably be set.

You store all your data on the Zip disks, which can then be added and removed from the system as needed. There's no way for anyone without physical access to the system to get at those files.

Periodically, it might not be a bad idea to make a backup of all files onto CD/DVD if you have a burner. While you could use a CD-RW drive to do this, it would be much slower and more cumbersome than a Zip drive. It would also be much less reliable in the long term. This is one of the few cases where a Zip drive would be a better solution.

Collapse -
External HD OK?
by ahw30045 / February 24, 2005 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: External storage

I have an External Maxtor drive (connected by USB). Is this also safe (even though it shows as a normal drive on My computer)?

Collapse -
by Yew / February 24, 2005 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: External HD OK?

It's safe if you unplug it when not being used, otherwise no, it's just as much a risk as it being on an internal drive.

Collapse -
In any good backup plan....
by Michael Geist / February 24, 2005 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: Depends

redundancy is built in. From the largest corporation to a home user, more then one source is used to save those precious files.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?