Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Secure Webcam??

by c0rndawg / October 4, 2006 7:36 PM PDT

Hi! just hoping to pick your brains for a few moments.

Is it possible for someone to intercept a webcam stream through MSN Messenger for example, even if Windows Firewall is activated?

The recipient is on a university network, and i'm a tad concerned that someone else on the network might be able to do this.

If so, is there anything I can do to make the stream secure?

Thanks for your time!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Secure Webcam??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Secure Webcam??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should be concerned...............
by Trance_Zac / October 4, 2006 8:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Secure Webcam??

If you are sending a s webcam stream OR any other data to a Network as you descibed, the Administrator of the network can pick up everything.

No firewall will stop this, since you are sending the data. The firewall will just stop unsolicited inbound events.
You are solicitating an outgoing event, which the Administrator can easily catch (IF he's looking for such activity)

Best off using your cell to call or Text!!!

Collapse -
No such thing as a Secure WebCam
by DarCLew2 / October 4, 2006 8:13 PM PDT

Especially if it is on a network. MSN Messenger has been known to be vulnerable and same goes for any Instant Messenging Service. People make mistakes even with email, like the guy who wrote intimate things to his girl-friend and then hit Reply to All. Darrell L.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What I Just Said
by Trance_Zac / October 4, 2006 8:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) John, did not know until I posted my response (dialup)
by DarCLew2 / October 4, 2006 8:29 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) What I Just Said
Collapse -
No software?!
by c0rndawg / October 4, 2006 8:46 PM PDT

Hey, thanks for all your replies. I take it there isn't any software or whatever that would do the job?

Nevermind, thanks for your help anyways.

Collapse -
Take the hint
by glb613 / October 4, 2006 9:01 PM PDT
In reply to: No software?!

If you are trying to do this at work, don't!

Collapse -
Possible, but unlikely
by jackson dougless / October 4, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

It's certainly possible for someone to intercept this, but it's rather unlikely that anyone would. There are a lot of things that would have to happen first, and it amounts to someone having to make some effort to try and intercept this.

It's extremely unlikely that someone would accidentally intercept something such as this, but far from impossible.

Collapse -
Would "Peerguardian" help????
by c0rndawg / October 5, 2006 4:25 AM PDT

Hi again!

Someone suggested a program called "Peerguardian" to me, would this work? Aparently it's an IP blocker.

Thanks!

Collapse -
No
by jackson dougless / October 5, 2006 4:36 AM PDT

Don't know how much more plainly it can be put, but here goes.

There is NO way to absolutely guarantee that someone will not intercept webcam broadcasts. However unlikely it may be that someone would intercept them, the possibility will ALWAYS exist. There is NO software solution to this, nor is there a hardware solution to this. If the intended recipient can see it, so can someone else.

Given your apparent paranoia level, you might just want to reconsider whatever it is you're doing via webcam that you don't want others to see. If you're this concerned about others seeing it, it seems probable that it's something you shouldn't be doing.

Collapse -
heheh
by c0rndawg / October 5, 2006 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: No

Ok thanks for your help. I thoroughly understand every comment made here, but I was attempting to prompt more information from more people. For instance, someone else might know about some encrytion tool that you don't or something; i don't give up so easily.

Furthermore, as far as I know, talking to someone via a webcam isn't something that shouldn't be done, so i think i'm ok there. Thanks for your concern.

The issue is just that I don't want other people watching me in my own home.... is that all that strange? Does that mean I shouldn't be sitting in my own home, just because I don't want others too see??

Thanks for your help anyway.

Collapse -
was a photograph nut but didn't like others to take mine
by DarCLew2 / October 5, 2006 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: heheh

Of course, the main concern in your home is the background and how you are dressed. The latter is easy to rectify and those folding curtains or blinds that are out there would be cheaper than any encryption tool to buy.
All one needs is to know how you want to present yourself - like in a job interview. Really simple.
Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Maybe
by jackson dougless / October 6, 2006 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: heheh

I can understand the desire for privacy, but you need to understand that using a webcam is essentially inviting someone to invade that privacy. I also think we all know there's something more to this than simple privacy concerns, but we're not asking about the specifics of what you're doing, just commenting that your paranoia level suggests you might want to rethink whatever it is you're doing.

Webcams are inherently insecure, that's just the nature of the beast. Learn a lesson from the entertainment industry. All the different copy protection methods they've devised have been broken, and usually within days of public release. There is no way around this, end of story. With a webcam, if one person can see it, anyone could potentially see it. They would have to know you're broadcasting and then care enough to eavesdrop, but it's possible, and there's no way around it. So whatever it is you're doing that has you all worked up, you might want to rethink. It's that, or accept that there's a chance someone will intercept the broadcast.

Collapse -
Maybe theres some sort of encryption
by william551 / October 5, 2006 6:40 AM PDT

you can get that only you and the recipient know the password for.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.