General discussion

Secure connection failed just from googling

I googled the term "logmein" and got a popup with the following message.

=======================================================
Secure Connection Failed

logmein.org:443 uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is only valid for secure.logmein.com
(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)
This could be a problem with the server's configuration or it could be someone trying to imporsonate the server.
=======================================================
This popup appeared right after I hit the "google search" button,
I didn't even click on any of the links returned from the search so wasn't trying to "connect". Why would this come up?

Is it likely that I caught a malware just from doing this, or maybe there is one on my system?

I am using Firefox 3.6.3, Vista SP2. Scanned with Microsoft security essential, Malware Bytes anti malware, and Superantispyware, and the results are clean.

I went to another PC running XP and googled the same term "logmein" with the same version of Firefox but didn't get such a popup.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Secure connection failed just from googling
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Secure connection failed just from googling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I can't help but ask..

danawenco..

Do you still have LogMeIn installed? I remember you posting and asking about LogMeIn, not too long ago. When checking the thread, I see where you also referenced Vista.

On the outside chance, this was/is a valid message, sometimes checking (and changing, if necessary) the date and time will correct it. Mozilla offers other solutions, if that's not the cause. (You can view the certificate, by first going to Tools>Options>Advanced>Encryption Tab)

FWIW.. if you "search" the LogMeIn Community Forum, you'll find quite a few "cert issues". The same holds true with LogMeIn, at the Mozilla Firefox forum, at mozillaZine.

Lastly, if you don't have LogMeIn installed anymore, OR never did on this machine........... DISREGARD THE ABOVE! Silly

I can't tell you why the error appeared, in the manner it did. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable in this area, will add their 2

- Collapse -
Secure Connection
- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks Carol.

No I didn't get redirected or had other problems. I was just curious on why googling a term would get me connected to anything (from the message it says connection failed so I suppose I was being connected to somewhere). One of the results returned from the google search was logmein.org which seems to be not related to the real logmein site (logmein.com) so that's what the popup was warning me. What I didn't understand was why I was being connected without clicking on any link.

Or, maybe the popup message was just misleading. BTW, I have the application installed.

Thank you Carol.

CNET Forums

Forum Info