Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

"Secure Client" ??

by dromel / March 30, 2004 3:47 PM PST

A friend had a program/service(?) called "Secure Client" installed on his PC. Can anyone explain what this is.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Secure Client" ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Secure Client" ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:
by Donna Buenaventura / March 30, 2004 4:05 PM PST
In reply to: "Secure Client" ??

Hi,

Kindly ask your friend to find the location of the Secure Client and check its properties. You can also locate a file by looking at MSCONFIG>Services tab. The manufacturer name should be there, that is if 'Secure Client' is running as a service.

If 'Secure Client' is starting during Windows startup, it should be in MSCONFIG>Startup tab, with folder or registry location.

Let us know of the manufacturer or whatever s/he found in MSCONFIG that points to Secure Client.

Collapse -
Re:
by Donna Buenaventura / March 30, 2004 4:16 PM PST

How about asking your friend to install WinPatrol from www.winpatrol.com

It will show 'information' on each item that is running as a service, startup, active task, scheduled task and others. WinPatrol is a free program.

Collapse -
NOT a trojan or virus.
by dromel / March 30, 2004 11:29 PM PST

"Secure Client" is NOT a trojan or virus; it is a security program/service(?)that was installed on his PC by a local consultant for him. He is an unsopisticated user and has trouble finding the "on" button.
I have the impression that it is a combination firewall and anonymousizer, but I have never heard of it. Was curious if I was missing something useful. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

Collapse -
Re:NOT a trojan or virus.
by Donna Buenaventura / March 30, 2004 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: NOT a trojan or virus.

Hi,

I didn't say it is a troja or virus. Happy
Was asking earlier if you could ask your friend to review the properties of 'Secure Client' by going to MSCONFIG>Services tab to find out the name of the manufacturer or author of Secure Client.. then others who are maybe using that program can say something about it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?