General discussion

Sectarianism and bigotry

As a neutral I am astonished at the level of sectarian and bigotted behaviour in this country.
As long as there are organisations like:-

The Orange Lodge
The Masonic Order
The Knights of St. Collumbia
The Eastern Star etc

Then Sectarian behaviour will never end.
UEFA were asked to step in to end the chants of Glasgow Rangers supporters but beat a hasty retreat when they found a can of worms they could not close, their ruling said it was a problem that was deeply rooted in Scottish history and basically sort your own house out first.
Celtic are not blameless in this matter as they have their own vile chants against Protestants.
Now we have opposition fans singing sectarian songs to land the old firm in trouble, how low is that.
I cannot belive that in 2006 we still have Orange Walks, a flute band playing tunes, (not singing because thats not allowed because its sectarian)? that are full of anti Catholic rhetoric.
Both parties are to blame and always will be, intollerance is intollerable.
Where did the IRA dissappear to after the war on Iran and terrorism??

big-tam

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sectarianism and bigotry
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sectarianism and bigotry
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
S and B

When people's skin get a little thicker and not bruise like a banana, when they let go of their egos. You remember sticks and stones.....Guess the line between pride and idiocy is fast disappearing.

Tom

- Collapse -
Thanx but

Its not about sticks and stones, Im talking about large well organised and well funded organisations that keep the bigotry alive, and are allowed to keep it alive because the they have the power to do so.
All religous hatred should be taken seriously and not treated lightly as we can see in Isreal.
Thank you for your post but its flippant.

big-tam

- Collapse -
lightly

there being killed in isreal

- Collapse -
lightly

ther being killed in Glasgow

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) just a tad few more in isreal
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Flippant?
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes
- Collapse -
Flippancy

If you have something constructive to add then fine if not then good-bye.
big-tam

- Collapse -
what is your main malfunction?

you come in here with both guns blazeing snide comments to the regulars.
for a newby you sure got a chip

- Collapse -
Must be fundraising

Evidently the IRA hasn't met it's kill quota so he's trying to raise money for them.

Tom

- Collapse -
you do relize name calling is a tos

are you gonna cliam somebody else is useing your name again?

- Collapse -
tos

what is a tos

- Collapse -
Ring a bell?

intollerance is intollerable.

Tom

- Collapse -
NO

Explain

- Collapse -
Your words, your post
- Collapse -
your words

ID -1 not valid

- Collapse -
your words

Sectarianism and bigotry

As a neutral I am astonished at the level of sectarian and bigotted behaviour in this country.
As long as there are organisations like:-

The Orange Lodge
The Masonic Order
The Knights of St. Collumbia
The Eastern Star etc

Then Sectarian behaviour will never end.
UEFA were asked to step in to end the chants of Glasgow Rangers supporters but beat a hasty retreat when they found a can of worms they could not close, their ruling said it was a problem that was deeply rooted in Scottish history and basically sort your own house out first.
Celtic are not blameless in this matter as they have their own vile chants against Protestants.
Now we have opposition fans singing sectarian songs to land the old firm in trouble, how low is that.
I cannot belive that in 2006 we still have Orange Walks, a flute band playing tunes, (not singing because thats not allowed because its sectarian)? that are full of anti Catholic rhetoric.
Both parties are to blame and always will be, intollerance is intollerable.
Where did the IRA dissappear to after the war on Iran and terrorism??

big-tam

- Collapse -
malfunction

I dont have a malfunction, I just dont listen to sh.. from no one, Im a plain talking scot that says what he means and means what he says.
You replied to my post about sectarianism with a camouflaged analogy to Isreal, but I would suggest you know nothing about the actual problem in Scotland.
Although we do not have all out war in Scotland the basic reasons are the same.

Look on the bright side
big-tam

- Collapse -
ex cuse me

"All religous hatred should be taken seriously and not treated lightly as we can see in Isreal.
Thank you for your post but its flippant."<<your words not mine

and again war isnt what your experiancing in scotland
and you look at the bright side.

- Collapse -
malfunction

Its not your main malfunction Its ""What is your major malfunction soldier".
Happy times
big-tam

- Collapse -
Roots are not in religion at all

but in loyalty to the old rulers. It was the kings who mandated the religion of the land and gave special privilege to those who accepted it and persecuted those who did not. It was about sovereignty...self rule....and a country becoming devided up to be conquered. Ireland just happened to be Catholic and England was Protestant. Part of the subjugation process involved the stripping of both religion and culture from the Irish peoples. William of Orange defeated King James and brought his rule and religion to the northern parts of Ireland. Because the imposition of religion was a ''spoil'' of victory in war, it can give the appearance that religion was the reason for the war. This is not true. The scars of that time have not yet healed. Similar can be said for hostility in many parts of the world....but it was about power and not religion. Now in Scotland, it was more about culture. Check into what happened during the Highland "clearances".

CNET Forums