General discussion

Secret Police of Los Angeles: Daryl Gates? Paranoid Legacy

Beyond the spy ring and the LAPD?s infamous brutality, which was formalized in ways such as a chokehold policy that tended to kill people, Johnston shares other anecdotes about Gates? 14-year reign of terror. His officers were quite capable of chasing jaywalkers off the street, but had no idea how to respond to the riots. And then there was the little matter of police-linked homicides...

The LAPD is full of no good cops and i know there is so much more lies and cover ups that will be exposed....

But is there anything that can be done...

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/the_secret_police_of_los_angeles_daryl_gates_paranoid_legacy_20100419/

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Secret Police of Los Angeles: Daryl Gates? Paranoid Legacy
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Secret Police of Los Angeles: Daryl Gates? Paranoid Legacy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
But I wager you would want one

..... if you were attacked.

I do not accept the indictment that the "LAPD is full of no-good cops". i wonder how you would fare working under the conditions they do day in and day out.

Frankly, I find it very disturbing that you choose to concentrate on the very worse of the department. I am aware that any department anywhere would have problems with a few officers, and even with failed policies of their Chiefs. That is true of any large organization.

Perhaps the problem lies with those who have a problem with authority-any authority, without an acceptance that there must be order in a civilized society.

You appear to accept without question what was charged in the article. I don't know if you are willing to do anything positive , or just to rant. Usually, words are cheap and take less effort.

Angeline

- Collapse -
When policing....

...brutal people in brutal neighborhoods you can't be Mr. Rogers since it's not his neighborhood.

- Collapse -
The total LAPD force....

...consists of around 9,800 police officers. I never understood how a city that large could manage with a police force that small.

There are bad cops everywhere; fortunately in most cities they make up a very small percentage of the police force. It's an easy job to get corrupted by, between the horrific things they see every day, the drug money they confiscate, etc. People get tempted and go bad. It happens.

A few years ago I was visiting some family in Virginia. My BIL pointed to a house up the street that had a boat and an expensive car in the driveway. He told me that the owner was a dirty cop. This wasn't a large town and you'd have thought that such expensive toys would draw attention.

CNET Forums

Forum Info