PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Secondary Master Drive Fails

by oiptoner / July 15, 2005 10:45 PM PDT

I have installed a new ASUS V7S-VM motherboard and during the boot process I get an error message saying "Secondary Master Drive Fails". I can F1 around it, but cannot read any drives on the secondary IDE cable. Right now I have the HDD as the Primary Master and a CD-ROM as the Primary Slave. This lets me operate, but shorts me two IDE drives. I have even removed the Seconday cable and still get the same message. Is this a BIOS problem or is it mechanical? Any suggestions on what to try next? OS is WIN 98.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Secondary Master Drive Fails
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Secondary Master Drive Fails
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have a problem
by daddyo58 / July 15, 2005 11:27 PM PDT

What are the jumpers set to on the secondary drive and are you trying to dual boot your system or is the secondary drive just for storage.

Collapse -
Secondary Master IDE problem
by oiptoner / July 16, 2005 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: You have a problem

I tested this a number of ways, all with the HDD set up as the Primary Master. With a CD-ROM as the Secondary Master and no Slave; with a CD-ROM as the Secondary Slave with no Master; with nothing connected to the Secondary; with the CD-ROM connected as the Primary Slave and the Secondary cable removed. All configurations gave the same error message upon boot, but the Secondary Slave position was recognised in all cases. Just the Secondary Master was not recognised.

Collapse -
Have you tried using Cable Select
by Ray Harinec / July 16, 2005 10:49 PM PDT

jumpering and switched cables between Primary and secondary?? Are they both 80 conductor cables, to be certain that they are set up for cable select. There were many 40 conductor cables that supported CS, but no easy way to tell. And, of course the Master must go on the end connector and slave to the middle.

Collapse -
80 Connector Cables
by oiptoner / July 17, 2005 10:32 PM PDT

I have used an 80 connector cable for the primary, but reused an old cable for the secondary. You may have nailed my problem. Can't work on it until tomorrow, but will let you know what happens. Thanks.

Collapse -
80 CONDUCTORS, still 40 pins.
by Ray Harinec / July 18, 2005 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: 80 Connector Cables

Simply added 40 ground wires located such as to reduce crosstalk. Bad cable could be the problem, but the 80 conductor fact itself is not likely. But it will be a new cable and a better one, so lets hope.

And if you use cable select you must plug the drive in to the correct connector.

Collapse -
hi, have u got the problem solved? i got same thing
by heldentenor / August 11, 2005 3:50 PM PDT

after i installed winxp, BIOS keeps saying "secondary master drive fails" . same with urs.

i connected it to another computer,it works well. i am using asus mother board.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?