PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Secondary IDE Controller not recognized...have tried it all!

by tlfeher / May 12, 2004 12:11 PM PDT

I've recently had to reboot my computer from the Win 98 (SE) disk due to it locking up. I have a Dell Dimension XPS T-model. I have tried pretty much every suggestion I've read about online, Dell tech support, etc. to relieve this exclamation point error message (which says "the device is either not present, not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed. Code 10")

I have tried:
-updating the driver (it said the one I had was fine)
-downloading a utility off the Intel web site (it didn't help)
-opening the tower and unplugging/replugging the cable that connects to my CD-ROM & CD-RW drives just to make sure they weren't loose(did no good)
-replaced this ribbon cable thinking maybe the cable itself was bad (no good)
-switching the IDE cable with my Zip drive cable and for some reason the Secondary IDE Controller was recognized (but my CD drives still didn't play CDs)

My CD drive is currently running a Norton disk...so I don't think it's "shot". It won't play music CDs. Any suggestions? I feel like I'm running out of ideas!

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Secondary IDE Controller not recognized...have tried it all!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Secondary IDE Controller not recognized...have tried it all!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Secondary IDE Controller not recognized...have tried it all!
by Willy / May 12, 2004 1:39 PM PDT

If CD drive is orginal to the system, it can and will go bad. While it may play music CDs but not read data CDs, or vica versa is a good sign either to at least clean the drive and/or CDs themselves. If it still fails, then suspect a bad drive or starting to fail entirely. You should reload the latest driver(s) if possible from a trusted source. In other words, get or unzip the drivers to some dir. you make and then point it to those directly, don't let it default or point to the old source. Maybe, it will then correct it itself or flat out be bad.

You should also use your anti-virus(latest updates) and see if it can find any malware at work. Plus, use the MS knowledgebase for possible links/tips/cures, etc. for an OS problem. But, IMHO, its h/w starting to go. Return the cabling to what it was. If you recently installed new s/w or h/w, back track and see if that is a cause, as sometimes lost of resources may pop-up a probelem unrelated to the new h/w or s/w, something has to give as it were.

Those are my guesses, etc. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2004 10:00 PM PDT

Your post has conflicted statements. If said CDROM does run a Noront disk, and if its connected to the second IDE channel, then there is NO ISSUE with data CDs and the second IDE channel.

Audio CDs which play differently can require an ANALOG 3 or 4 wire cable from the back of the CD to the sound card and some will have difficulty with the Sound serttings.

If CD Audio won't play at all as evidenced by putting in an AudioCD and using the front headphone connection of the drive and having the OS set to do analog, then the CD drive is dead for this feature.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Secondary IDE Controller not recognized...have tried it all!

I'm having a hard time believing the CD drive is dead (or maybe I'm in denial Happy just because I recently rebooted from the Win 98 disk...I thought it probably was something more to do with the fact I just reloaded that and other programs vs. my CD drive just "going". Sounds too coincidental that that would go the same time I just had to reboot. Maybe not.

I did try to run the Dell Diagnostics CD on my computer (again) last night and it doesn't recognize the D: (CD-Rom) drive. It does recognize my E: (CD-R) drive though.

I have found another posting on the web from someone who has the same exact problem I am having. He was referring to the Microsoft System Information list under "I/O" where there's the string of numbers...could something be found in there? Anyone familiar with this?

THANKS AGAIN!

Collapse -
Aha. REPEAT THE TEST!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2004 2:12 AM PDT

You revealed the best data CDROM test. Boot from it. There is no need to do anything else but to see it boot from it.

What happens?

And let me share that I found non-CDRW, just CDROM drives for under 8 bucks recently, but with CDRW under 20, why do that?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Aha. REPEAT THE TEST!
by tlfeher / May 14, 2004 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Aha. REPEAT THE TEST!

Well I'm not at home to try this out, but I will. When you say I "revealed the best data CDROM test", what exactly do you mean? (sorry, not a super-techie here but I am trying!)

I guess if it is the drive gone bad, then I'm not too concerned if they are $20 and under. Any suggestions where to purchase?

Collapse -
Bootable CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2004 3:45 AM PDT

Some of the CDs supplied with such machines Boot. You set the BIOS to do that and that's the test. Do not proceed any further with what the CD does! It's just a CDROM test.

If that fails, then you try another drive.

Where? Depends on your country. Here it's officemax, best buy, compgeeks.com and many other places...

Bob

Collapse -
by sstar / May 15, 2004 2:31 AM PDT

i too believe it's bad, yesterday i replaced my sons
cdrom it played music but would not run other cd's
and even starting from the statup windows disk 98se
and in dos says invalid.

Collapse -
Ok, so I took out the CD drive

Well, I guess I'm starting to accept maybe it is my CD drive after all. I'm not 100% sure this is the case yet, but I just successfully broke down my tower and removed the drive. (This is a big step for me, folks.)

Someone at CompUSA said it could either be the CD drive or my motherboard/IDE controller. I'll take the drive in to them and they can play and diagnose. Then I guess I'll know what to buy.

Still doesn't explain why some of my software won't load right (Netscape, Music Match, etc.)

Thanks everyone!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!