Storage forum

General discussion

secondary hd size wrong

by bonkernm / February 16, 2004 12:39 AM PST

I run Windows 98 SE with a 9Gb hd partitioned into 3 smaller drives (1 primary, 2 logical). I received the computer with this drive in this condition because they put the OS install disk on one of the partitions. I added a secondary hd from my old computer, one without an OS, and now windows sees this 80Gb hd as a 314MB drive. I would like to get rid of the extra partitions on the primary drive and get Windows to see my whole secondary hd. I have tried looking in CMOS for an LBA setting on it but there is none. Any advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: secondary hd size wrong
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: secondary hd size wrong
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:secondary hd size wrong
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 1:01 AM PST

1. Latest BIOS?

2. Set the HD as AUTO in the BIOS.

3. Use DELPART.EXE from http://www.bootdisk.com to clear that drive WARNING! POWER TOOL! IF YOU WIPE OUT THE WRONG DRIVE, THEN I CAN'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU.

4. With over 64GB HARD DISKS, some users require the latest FDISK from MICROSOFT. The supplied one has a cosmetic defect and will not show the drive size.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:secondary hd size wrong
by bonkernm / February 21, 2004 5:01 AM PST

I used the MS FDISK program and deleted the extra partitions on the drive. It left me with the original partition of the same size and I lost the GBs of the other 2 partitions. Fdisk shows they are there but Windows doesn't see the extra space. It said I needed to format the HD after making any changes but I don't want to lose programs on the Primary partition. Is there some way around formatting, to get the extra space back?

Thank you for your help:)

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:secondary hd size wrong
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2004 5:20 AM PST

"I used the MS FDISK program and deleted the extra partitions on the drive."

This one?
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=263044
Titled "Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB"

"It left me with the original partition of the same size and I lost the GBs of the other 2 partitions. Fdisk shows they are there but Windows doesn't see the extra space."

I can only go with what you've written and frankly, you may not understand partitions, format and such required to let Windows see and use a partition. In short, partition, format, then use. Here's a link on partitioning -> http://fdisk.radified.com/

"It said I needed to format the HD after making any changes but I don't want to lose programs on the Primary partition. Is there some way around formatting, to get the extra space back?"

After you reviewed http://fdisk.radified.com/ and fetched the new MS FDISK program, without tools like PARTITION MAGIC, you can only create or delete partitions. You can't re-size such. I will reveal that there are free tools like NTFS RESIZER but in your current situation of NO BACKUP, such are very dangerous to even suggest. Even PARTITION MAGIC is not without risk.

Before you lose what can't lose, please obtain a backup and if these are programs, find the install CDs.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.