The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Second in line at my local store on launch day, and didn't get an iPhone

Here's my little story.

There were 2 stores near me that were going to have the iPhone on launch day, and coincidentally, they were next to each other. The first one opened at 7am, and I was in line from about quarter to 7, and the 15th person in line. Upon the store opening however, we were told that they didn't have any iPhones yet, they were to be delivered that morning, and they were only getting 15. I was stoked that I'd just got there in time to get one. Then the employee from the store said that unless people had pre-ordered and paid a $100 deposit, they would not be allowed to purchase an iPhone from that store. Feeling quite annoyed and a little disappointed, I went and started queuing at the store next door, 2 hours before it was due to open at 9am.

It was myself and another guy that was in line with me at the previous store that started this new queue, and being second in line, I was pretty sure I'd get one here, as long as they didn't have the same policy that had prevented me from getting one earlier. After a few minutes, other people that had been turned away came and joined this new line, with only two people that had pre-ordered (making me essentially fourth, as people who had pre-ordered got priority, but other people could still purchase an iPhone).

At about 7:20am, the courier came to deliver the iPhones to both stores, however, the store I was queuing at didn't get any, as it wasn't yet open. At 9am, the store opened, and orders started to be taken, people who had pre-ordered signed their contracts, and were told they'd be called when their iPhones came in. The rest of us stood in our queue and were told the store was only getting 9 iPhones, and only 3 16GB models. Three phones were allocated for pre-paid customers, and 6 for post-paid customers.

As such, those of us that wanted to get a phone pre-paid and unsubsidised wrote our name, phone number and position in the queue down. I was second. The courier was called and said he'd be back in about an hour, so some people went home, and some of us decided to wait. The staff at the store were great, they were nice and friendly, explained they didn't get to choose what phones came to the store, and said they'd call anyone who left their details once the iPhones got delivered. Those of us who stayed got tea and coffee, we even got to have a play with the demo unit before it had even been activated, and see how everything worked.

It's at this point things got frustrating. The courier didn't show an hour later, most people went home at this point to wait for a call to tell them when they'd be in, and some of us elected to stay, with the rest of us going home about 12:30, 1pm. At about 4pm I got a call to say that the store had been informed they wouldn't be getting any iPhones until the day after. I was kind of disappointed that despite all my queuing, I wouldn't be getting an iPhone that day, but I at least knew there was one waiting with my name on it.

So today, I waited all day for the call to say when the iPhones were in, finally at 1:30 this afternoon, I got a call saying that the iPhones had just come in, with no 16GB models for those wanting to pre-pay, like me. Only 8GB models. I was after the 16GB, in black. So despite all my queuing and waiting, I now have to wait until the next delivery at the store, sometime this week, to get an iPhone. Second in line outside a store on launch day, and no iPhone. Very annoying and frustrating.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Second in line at my local store on launch day, and didn't get an iPhone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Second in line at my local store on launch day, and didn't get an iPhone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.