Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Second drive issue

by dudleian1 / April 8, 2012 3:48 AM PDT

Hello there, can anyone help me please
I've recently installed a second hard drive to act as a storage facility on my Packard Bell iMedia (Vista home basic) as I was running out of disc space. As I've created the menu for all my stuff and folders/subs Vista has doubled everything up so I now have a back-up of the back-up and only half the free space that I anticipated!. When I open windows explorer I now have THREE folders marked 'E:Storage/etc... - two under Desktop/Anyone and one under Computer/ along with my other drives C.D and F (two DVD drives) - SO I have three questions 1) how did this happen (cos I didn't do it!)? 2) how can I stop it from continuing and most importantly 3) how do I delete all the duplicated stuff?
Any suggestions gratefully acepted

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Second drive issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Second drive issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Difficult
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Second drive issue

Only you can tell us how it happened as we weren't there.

When you installed that 2nd hard drive it would have been blank. When you looked at the drive in Vista's Windows Explorer, it would have been empty.

What did you do then? You said you created a menu. I suspect you mean something else, like a set of folders and sub-folders, but if you do mean a menu, how did you do that?

How did you create the folders and sub-folders, and how did you copy the files across from the C drive to this new E drive?

You have to be careful, and be sure, before doing anything hasty. For example, if you open "Computer" either from an icon on your Desktop or from the Computer shortcut in your Start menu, this will show a Desktop location top left, which is the same as the Desktop you see when you are using your computer, (the Desktop display). So you may be seeing the same folders, but just from different perspectives.

This is what my own "Computer" looks like. What does yours look like?

Mark

Collapse -
Drive
by dudleian1 / April 8, 2012 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Difficult

HI, I think I've sussed it. I created folders and subs on the second drive and then copied/transfered stuff from the C drive, I've now had a good look at the directories and although there ARE 3 directories to the E:/ drive they are all simply copies of the same thing; they all lead to the same place and there is only one set of folders in existence (not 3 as I first thought) When I oen 'Desktop/Anyone' I see two 'E:/ drives, there is also one shown under 'Computer' n pursuit of a neater looking desktop I'd like to get rid of a couple of the extranious 'directories'

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!