Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Searcing Find for files with both of two words

It would be much easier to use find if I could have it search for files having both of two words in it. Like, if I want to see if there is a file for uninstalling a program, I'd like to be able to put in the program name and also the word "uninstall". But as best as I can tell, when I put two words in the box Find searches for files with either word, or maybe with just the first word.

To me, that is such a shortcoming that I wonder if I am overlooking a method for searching for files with both of two words.

??? Thanks, grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Searcing Find for files with both of two words
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Searcing Find for files with both of two words
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Searching, get Agent Ransack (free)

In reply to: Searcing Find for files with both of two words

Grandpaw (are you really?) you never said what you are using for your Finds right now, so I will assume you are using the Find function in Windows Explorer (in winExplorer you can click the 'Search' button or just press ^F) or at the desktop click the Start>Search command (you could also just hold down the Windows key and press "F").

(Either of those is actually the same tool.)

When you use the Windows Explorer Search tool, and you enter in the "word or phrase" two words; then that search will look for the pairing of those two words, actually those exact characters - not the words (and usually not case specific, unless you tell it otherwise). That means that if there are any other characters in-between the ones that you specifically entered, even a new line, it will NOT find them.

That means if I enter a search for the words "and the" it find:
"and the"
"and then"
"and them"
"brand therometer", etc.

It will not find:
"the and" (same words but not in the correct sequence of characters)
"and I then" (a wrong character in the string)
"and
the" (a new line in-between the characters

I use such searches myself, LOTS or times, but because of that limitation (exact character strings) I don't particularly like the Find tool for complicated (more than one word) searches.

For more involved searches I recommend you look for other tools that have more capabilities. But with more capability, comes more difficulty in using the tool (usually not much, just more that the Windows Search function). Also there are very good tools that are still FREE!

Look for: Agent Ransack
With that tool you can make as involved or as simple the searches you want. Good tool, and FREE!

Collapse -
Thanks, ChuckT

In reply to: Re: Searching, get Agent Ransack (free)

I've downloaded Agent Ransack, though I've not yet studied how to use it.

A question: how can I get a desktop icon that will open to the Agent Ransack exe file? I have an icon that opens the program folder, from which I can then click the exe file. But when I have the exe file showing and try to move the icon to my desktop, it won't budge.

Also, in my Windows98, when I type in, for example, Windows Explorer, it finds files with either word rather than only files with both words. That seems to differ from what you were saying, and that has been my problem.

Thanaks, ChuckT, for your help. Yes, I'm a grandpaw to be sure; it's almost the neucleus of my life. I sometimes wonder how my grandchildren can so easily fill my heart to overflowing.

grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: to get a program on the desktop to run

In reply to: Thanks, ChuckT

You can easily make a shortcut to an existing EXE by just right-clicking the EXE and dragging the cursor out to the desktop. BUT! (there is always a "but" isn't there Happy ) If there are any command line options (the parameters) which must be used to additionally start up the EXE, that method will not work without you manually adding them. That's too hard!

INSTEAD, once you have installed a program, and assuming it does create a selection in your Start>Programs selection, just click on that Start button, Programs, and hover over wherever that program item shows,
then RIGHT-click the selection, and drag it out to the desktop,
then release the right mouse button,
and take the "Copy" selection.

That way the entire correctly setup shortcut item (items in the Start>Programs are usually all shortcuts) and places a copy of it on your desktop.

Collapse -
differ from what I said! (how can that be? :-) )

In reply to: Thanks, ChuckT

You say you type in two words and it finds files with either word. . .

What you are talking about is finding fileNAMES, that is different from what I was talking about.
Go back and read what I said, you will see I was talking about find "words or phrases" in the file.

You originally said you were looking for files with particular words IN IT.
I assumed you meant in the file, not the filename. Bad assumption, sorry.

Yes, if your place "roger doger" in the "All or part of file name" field that is what will happen.
It finds files with EITHER ?roger? or ?dodger? in the name.
That is NOT finding a file with "roger" or "dodger" within the file, inside the file (doesn't matter whatever it might be called).

I was talking about finding the words IN the file, not the filename.

----------------
By the way, in Windows XP that has changed a bit.
Now by entering in two words in the "All or part of a filename" field (no special characters) it will now just find files with both words in the same filename (any order). If you want to find any file with either word you but separate the words with a comma or semicolon.
----------------

If you want to find files with ?roger dodger? in the file name, then your use the double quotes (?like this?) around the two, or more, words.

You can do that with your current Windows Find (or Search) tool.

Collapse -
Words in files, not in filenames

In reply to: differ from what I said! (how can that be? :-) )

Right, you were addressing finding words in files because I did not make myself clear.

Yet, I don't understand how to use Windows' Find program to search for words in files. As best as I can tell, it just searchs for words in titles to folders and files.

Thanks to you, I did get the shortcut for Agent Ransack on my desktop. In case anyone else is listening, I had to go: Start>Programs>Agent Ransack>the icon for Agent Ransack.exe (which I could idenify by the icon, it being the same icon I see when I have the exe file open); lesft click that entry to get a menu>click on Save>clidk on "Desktop (create shortcut")". In the exe menu, if I click on Create Shortcut instead of Save, I just get another exe icon in Programs, but not on the desktop.

I can't use my Windows 98 Find program to look for files or folders with two words by putting them in parenthesis. Find then looks for the two words and the parenthesis, resulting in its finding nothing.

Thanks, ChuckT, I'm tickled to get that program.

grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Words in files, not in filenames

In reply to: Words in files, not in filenames

In Win98 the Find (or now called Search) function to look within the files for words or phrases is an "Advanced" selection (I think that is the tab name - I don't have Win98 here to verify).
You should see three tabs near the top of the Search window: File (I think?), Advanced (again?) and Modified.

On the Advanced tab you will see a field where you enter in the words or phrases you are interested in finding IN the file. To search for more than one word, though, can be tricky. Refer to my original message in this thread. It explains the trickyness.

The Modified tab is where you can further limit your searching down to files modified on, before, after or in-between some dates. That is useful for finding (for example) some Word document (*.doc, since you don't recall what it was called) that you modified 2 months ago, but you don't recall what was in it (no idea of what words are in the doc).

The Windows Explorer can be a VERY useful search tool, when you understand its features.

Collapse -
Good morning, ChuckT

In reply to: Re: Words in files, not in filenames

I still haven't figured out how to search for words in a partilcular file, but I haven't spent the time my molasses encased brain needs. I'll try to understand better and then post the results. Of course, the stupid Help program is designed mainly for people who don't need any help.

I still haven't studied Ransack, but I suppose it may be easier to use for finding certain words in a certain file.

Thanks for the further input. grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: two words and the parenthesis

In reply to: Words in files, not in filenames

Why are you entering parenthesis? I said to use the double quotes.

If you are looking for roger dodger you enter
"roger dodger"

In my example, earlier, I showed that as ("like this") but the example was with the parens just to make it stand out, not that you were supposed to enter the parens. I never said enter parens, I said enclose your words in double quotes.

-->-->>> "like this" <<<--<--
(now please DON'T enter the dashes and the angle brackets Happy )

Collapse -
Oops, my mistake, ChurckT

In reply to: Re: two words and the parenthesis

I should have said I entered quotes instaed of parenthesis. They don't work on my program. Sorry about that. grandpaw (and anyhow, I like to call quotation marks parenthesis Happy)

Collapse -
Re: Oops, my mistake, ChurckT

In reply to: Oops, my mistake, ChurckT

and you can continue to call me "ChurckT" if you want Happy, but you save a keystroke and not add that extra "r" Grin.
By saving keystrokes, at the end of the day, you could sit back, relax, and catch a few extra milliseconds of sleep. Happy

Anyway, if you want to continue to talk through this, I know I can explain all or most of the abilities of the Windows Search function. It really can be very useful.

I really don't mind, but it can be tedious, through this forum, to try and read through the "I tried this - didn't work" and my responses. I have done it, but so many times people will say "I did exactly as you said" and then I find out that NO they didn't.

To do it correctly, I have to know exactly what you tried, and exactly what the results were.
There is a way we could actually link our desktops so that I could "watch over your shoulder" to see what you doing immediately. I haven't tried that before, but I believe it isn't too hard.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.