HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Searching From IE Address Bar Stopped Working

by bheuss / June 5, 2004 4:22 AM PDT

I've run into a problem that I didn't see in the forum. I can no longer search from the address bar in IE. For example, entering "lima beans" in the address bar and pressing enter or clicking go gives me: http:///? "lima beans" in the address bar
and the "page cannot be displayed" result page.

I do NOT have any malware/adware or virus infection. My home page has NOT been hijacked. The only thing that has changed is the ability to do a web search from the address bar.

I've checked my system with Adaware, Spybot, CWShred (and several other little tools) and done a virus scan (all up to date), and nothing came up. I'm running IE 6.02 (completely up to date) on Windows XP Home (also completely up to date). I do have "just display results in the main window" checked under the advanced tab and have not changed any options in IE. Also, I have not installed any new software or made any hardware changes in the past couple of months.

I am comfortable with editing the registry, if that's necessary.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on how to fix this. I really liked entering the search terms in the address bar and just hitting enter, and having the results come up in the main window. I am comfortable with editing the registry, if that's what it takes.

Thank you all for your time and help. Brent

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Searching From IE Address Bar Stopped Working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Searching From IE Address Bar Stopped Working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Searching From IE Address Bar Stopped Working
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 4:33 AM PDT

This is still "the" sign of malware damage. Here's the usual reading, http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ but you may need to move the heat up a notch to find this one. I'd look up HIJACKTHIS and review how to use it and where to post the LOG FILE. Hint: Not here. I'm only a mildly dangerous sleuth on that. I don't know them all, but find the HIJACKTHIS forums to really nail the items.

And then we have what I think is a good new tool called IEFIX which makes most repairs "automatic." Successes are happening with this tool which you can read about at http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm

Bob

Collapse -
Now I Really Need Help - Re:Re:Searching From IE Address Bar Stopped Working
by bheuss / June 5, 2004 7:02 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. I ran IEFIX and that didn't fix it. Then I tried to reinstall IE6 using IEFIX. I'm able to download the IE files.

However, when it tries to install IE6, I get an error message saying "this program did not pass the Windows Logo" test or something like that. It comes up around the 2%/3% area of the "installation completed" progress bar. The settings in my System Properties | Hardware | Driver Signing tab are set to "ignore" programs that are not signed "passed Windows Logo".

Is there a work around for this? Leave it to Microsoft to not logo-approve their own products! Happy

Maybe I should just stick with Mozilla. But I do like Outlook Express for news.

Thank you.

Brent

Collapse -
Re:Now I Really Need Help - Re:Re:Searching From IE Address Bar Stopped Working
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 8:28 AM PDT

While I'm noting IEFIX to cure many issues, it usually fails if some pest is still in place.

I noted HIJACKTHIS and to use its forums, but if you don't, then what next?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Now I Really Need Help - Re:Re:Searching From IE Address Bar Stopped Working

Bob,

Sorry I forgot to mention that nothing came up in Hijack this.

However, my main problem now is that I can't install IE due to the problem outlined in my previous post. So my problem now is how to install IE.

Thank you.
Brent

Collapse -
Nothing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 9:16 AM PDT

If you have an empty HIJACKTHIS log, then that is a sign that something is ... funny.

Usually I find pop-up stoppers, BHO's, toolbars, and well, even the stock stuff.

Looks like I do need to see you log. Can you supply where you posted it so I can look too?

Bob

Collapse -
''Search''
by Cursorcowboy / June 5, 2004 10:06 PM PDT

1. By default, Internet Explorer for WinXP uses the Search Companion feature but can be set to use the IE5.0 Classic Internet Search, [Q303210].

2. In IE, you may see only a limited number of Web search engine selections which can occur if a language other than U.S. English (en-us) is listed first in the Languages settings Properties. This causes the search assistant to return search engines that are compatible with the browser's default language setting, [Q224323].

3. When you click "Search" in IE, a different Web site may be displayed instead of the expected, and can occur if the registry entries for Search has been modified. To resolve this issue, remove the registry entries, [Q323869].

4. If the preview edition of Morpheus, v1.3.3.1 was installed -- and perhaps others, you may receive errors which is most likely to occur when you click a link in an e-mail message or when you paste a URL in to the Address bar, [Q321923].

Collapse -
''Setup - Reinstall''
by Cursorcowboy / June 5, 2004 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: ''Search''

1. First, be familiar with "Information About Internet Explorer Setup (Q256340)". Second, click Start, Search, All Files and Folders, More Advanced Options, enter a check in Search Hidden Files and Folders, Search System Folders, and Search Subfolders. Type ie.inf in All or Part of the File Name box, select C: in the Look In drop-down menu or the letter of the hard drive containing the Windows folder, and then click the Search button. Find the file labeled ie.inf in the result pane. Right-click this file and then from the context menu, select Install.

2. The article [Q304872] states that when you try to install IE6, you may receive an error message that can occur if it has already been installed and the installation package does not contain any new customizations -- a customized versions of Internet Explorer 6 that was created by an Internet service provider, Internet content provider, or a corporate administrator that is installed instead of the default browser.

3. "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.