Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Searching for the ultimate cure

Ever sense my infancy stage in first using and understanding the " great " computer, and my first model was a Commendore which was only view with DOS,It seemed that no matter what safe guards and security and performance enhancements you applied,each and every time you engaged a program or feature is the exact moment that your stability was dying a slow death by way of a deteriorating registry. We are now advanced in our technology and still out of all the programs and software's available, including third party versions, there are 10 times more programs and software's, which address the system registry to help maintain a stable environment. Example., you can install even a minimum of two (2) Registry help software's and run their scan features and 9 out 10 times, your first scan results will show approximately over 2000 registry errors and missing or invalid keys. Now you ask yourself, I just purchased this brand new computer with dual core processor and state of the art electronics and I have only turned it on for not even a full days use, and I have this many registry errors...So you say, well, first I am a novice computer user and I am just going to take for granted that something is not right, so let this program cure these ill's. I now began to be a little curious. I am somewhat of an explorer and want a second opinion, so i click on the second registry fixer program, knowing with my own eye's that the first one took about 30 seconds to " Fix " these errors and If I run this program right after the first scan and repair, I should see absolutely " Zero " errors, ' Right ', I run the second scan, and to my awe, there are roughly 294 errors. Now, I grant you one sign of relief, Windows 7 out of all the operating systems I have come to love and hate, registers the least registry errors with in a weeks use, and I intentionally keep my computer on with the screen saver set to engage after 30 minutes of inactivity. I use Windows Advance System Care Pro and set the feature to automatically scan and repair the registry everyday a 5 PM and I use the Smart Fragmentary program to run in the background continuously. This method greatly improved the performance of Vista and Works Great with Windows 7, For I fear if I did not provide some type of assistance to help with the performance issue that arrive, My experience with Windows 7 would be just as frustrating as Vista. Now again, Mind you, I love the vast improvements of Windows 7 and I have been a faithful Beta user to date, But I seriously ask, When will the geniuses at Microsoft and all the other Mac and Linus, etc, etc began to address the Issue of a more Stable registry, which is the lifeline of any well tuned operating system, or is the problems associated with a Registry like that of us drinking a glass of water, knowing that we will need another glass soon or later, or else we " Die ". Long live Bill Gates and his effortless Dreams.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Searching for the ultimate cure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Searching for the ultimate cure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now ask yourself two things...

In reply to: Searching for the ultimate cure

1.) What do such programs determine to be "errors?"
2.) How do such programs "fix" such registry "errors?"

The answer to both is that they scan the registry and attempt to find registry entries which are unused, then delete them. Most of those "errors" are actually references to files extensions, applications, et cetera which are not frequently used, but are still used nevertheless. Thus, you tell the cleaner to delete the entries, Windows recreates them days later because it needs them, and then you delete them again. Or worse, you tell the cleaner to delete the entries it detects are "errors" when the entries were actually required for an installed program, or even Windows, to run. In that case, you've crippled an application in order to save a few bytes of space and not increase system performance. If you ever wonder why 'perfectly tuned' computers spring leaks, those tuning utilities are often to blame.

In short, registry cleaners used to have some significance 'back in the day,' but on modern systems they cause more harm than good. Some of the developers of registry cleaners are even admitting that fact concerning Windows Vista and Windows 7.

John

Collapse -
A very constructive answer.

In reply to: Now ask yourself two things...

Thank you John. At least we have one thing in common, our names. Your answer has a lot of value, but I ask you this, If I disable my registry cleaning programs to speak, ( Registry Cur and Windows Advance System Care ) and just let the other features run, Like optimization, will I see an appreciable difference? I am not looking for more speed, I just want to minimize any crashes or hang ups. Your explanation of the what and how these registry cleaning programs function, make intelligent sense. I have never really been a great fan of these software's, but felt the need to try them, only if to enhance my system. But if they are the culprits, them they will be eliminated shortly. I will stay in contact with your threads and update you on my experience without the use of them. Thank you, John

Collapse -
Depends...

In reply to: A very constructive answer.

In terms of performance, you should see no change since the time saved by removing obsolete registry entries is measured in nanoseconds. It terms of stability, you may see a positive change if you consider the negative impact that would result from the deletion of needed registry entries, but otherwise you'll notice no change there, either.

And just so I highlight both sides of the issue, I will note that registry cleaners can be beneficial now and then. For instance, if the uninstallation of Microsoft Office glitches, some registry keys may be left behind that prevent its later reinstallation. This is relatively uncommon and can be fixed by specifically addressing those lingering registry keys, but many registry cleaners would indeed resolve the problem. It is just more of swatting a fly with a bazooka and risking the collateral damage.

John

Collapse -
A pleasure

In reply to: Depends...

It is refreshing and a pleasure reading your response, and I look forward to you addressing my concerns in the future. Thank You, John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.