Cameras forum

General discussion

SEARCHING FOR NEXT DIGICAM

by RetiredNavy02 / August 19, 2008 12:58 AM PDT

After a year of using my Canon PowerShot A570 IS I am ready to get rid of it due to poor indoor shooting performance (flash recycling time). Having two youngsters, I often miss shots (even with fresh batteries) due to the flash. Not sure if this is problematic of all point-and-shoots are just this camera. My old Sony P52 was a better performing camera, though the pictures were not as sharp as the Canon.

Anyways, would like a recommendation for a new camera. Was looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5. Reviews of this camera or any other cameras in this general range would be greatly appreciate. The camera is primary used for taking pictures of my kids and for vacation pictures.

Thanks!
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SEARCHING FOR NEXT DIGICAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SEARCHING FOR NEXT DIGICAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sorry but yes
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / August 19, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

It's pretty indicative of all the point and shoots out right now. The problems your having are the reason why some move to the DSLRs, but then find the learning curve a little daunting.

Collapse -
DIGICAM HELP
by RetiredNavy02 / August 19, 2008 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry but yes

I really like the Sony back in the day. The Canon seems to be plaqued by problems relating to the battery compartment design and slow recycle time for the flash, which is pretty frustrating. My wife has resorted in using the old Sony to take primary pictures over the Canon.

Since switching to a digicam, my 35MM Pentex ME Super and Canon EOS Elan have taken up hibernation in the closet. I would not mind switching to the DSLR but the conviences of a smaller camera is more appealing at this point. It just a matter of finding the right one.

Thanks for your feedback.

Collapse -
More info please
by neverforgetJeff / August 22, 2008 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: DIGICAM HELP

So you are taking indoor shots of your kids, what kind of zoom do you want? does screen size/view finder matter? What is the amount you are looking to spend on the whole kit? I'll show you a few great point and shoot cameras that all feature proprietary battery packs, but let me know more specifically what you need. Don't forget that memory card speed is also very important to camera speed.

Canon G9 - $500 street - A professional's point and shoot.

Sony DSC-W300 - $320 street - top of the line Sony pocket cam.

Canon SD870 IS - $250 street - a very good pocket camera.

Canon SD750 - $175 street - another good pocket camera.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!