General discussion

Searching for folders within folders

I have XP and I use MS Works. In My Documents I have a folder entitled File Folders containing the names I have given to various folders in my file drawer. If I open it, it gives me a list of those folders, using the names I assigned to them when created and saved them in MS Works.

I wonder what I can do so that if I am wondering if I a have a folder in the file drawer with a certain name, I can go to Search, type in that name and have the search engine tell me if there is such a folder?

For example, just how I could not recall if I had a folder in the file drawer with the name Hearing. So I went to XP search and typed the word hearing in the files and folders blank. But it came up finding nothing. I then opened the File Folders folder in My Documents, got the list of folders there, and found that I do have a folder entitled Hearing.

I thought that when I had Windows 98 I could use the search engine there to find out the above information, though maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I know that I can just open the folder called File Folders which I have in My Documents, get the list of folders it provides, and see if there is one with the word Hearing in it. But it would be more convenient for me to be able to use the search mechanism.

At any rate, is there a program I can get which will do the above kind of search for me?

Thanks, grandpaw

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Searching for folders within folders
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Searching for folders within folders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Grandpa, XP's Search Will Do That For You

Click on Start, choose "Search". When the Search window opens, select "All Files and Folders", then in the line that says: "All or part of the file name", type the folder name. Now scroll down a little and make sure that it's looking in the "C Drive". Now scroll down a little more and select the drop down menu in "More Advanced Options". Make sure that all the boxes are CHECKED including "Search Subfolders". Now click on the "Search" button.It will find any file or folder with the typed text. Remember, your spelling is critical here. If you spell the name of the folder wrong, it won't find it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
For something that basic ...

the command prompt works much faster and easier.

1. Open a command prompt
2. type the following dir c:\ hearing /s /a:d
3. Press the Enter Key.
4. either the directory is located or you will get a message stating that it does not exist.

The way it works is dir is the command for showing a directory listing.

The c:\ is the drive or partition being searched

The hearing is the name of the directory being searched for.

The /s forces all subdirectories to also be seaarched

The /a:d forces only directories and not files to be listed.

CNET Forums

Forum Info